Can anybody recommend a Japanese player where it's easy to crack the regional code? I want to be able to play back discs from all regions if possible. I know you can get rogered firmware for most DVD-ROMs to do this, but I don't want to watch films on the 'puter.

Can you play back European ones in Japan or does the the PAL/NTSC thing prevent it?

NoFakie

I have a region free player that I bought in Japan. I ordered it on Rakuten website - see the link below.

I have bought loads of DVDs from the US AND the UK - and had no problems with any of them, except for 1 from the UK that has a kind of blurring effect at times on the picture. But other than that - no problems at all.

Basically if possible I buy them from the US as they have the same NTSC system. But generally, no problems whatsoever.

Make sure that you get a "region free" system that also advertises itself as being able to play PAL DVDs.

I bought from this place:

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/sacom

It's all in Japanese.

Talking of DVDs from the US, just got my latest from Amazon.com - Star Trek TNG Second Season Box and Simpsons 1st Season Boxset.

Smells good.....................and work perfectly on the region-free machine.

Go get one!

smile.gif

[This message has been edited by 7-11 (edited 15 May 2002).]

why is it so hard to rent DVD's here then??

I don't have a tsutaya near-bye, and my local rental shop has like 10 dvd's, with maybe 2-3 "new" releases...renting "gone with the wind" is not to high on my list now...

my wallet can't handle buying movies...i just want to rent the occasional flick...but dvd's haven't seem to have caught on here...

danz

Good to be able to buy so many 7-11.

They have some DVDs in my local Tsutaya but not that many.

I think they take lots of the extra "goodies" off the rental DVDs as well (like the commentaries, docus etc)

• 2 weeks later...