What don't you like about Japan. Tell me.

Back in '85 I think it was, Japanese surf lifesavers came to train in Cronulla. I interpreted and trained with them. They told me if Japan had swell like that they would have closed the beach (meaning would be closed most of the time ). We had to get rescued cos we got caught in the rip. No wonder ...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Back in '85 I think it was, Japanese surf lifesavers came to train in Cronulla. I interpreted and trained with them. They told me if Japan had swell like that they would have closed the beach (meaning would be closed most of the time ). We had to get rescued cos we got caught in the rip. No wonder ...

an Aussie mate of mines was telling me that one of his lifesaver mates from the Gold Coast came over here to teach the Surf Patrol at Kugenuma beach about general surf safety. They kept on putting the swimming flags in the same place everyday regardless of the tides or that day's conditions, his mate say to them that they have to analyze the data from the sea each day before they decide where its safe to swim, they didn't listen to him and kept on doing what they always done, he quit 2 weeks into it. Said whats the point of bringing him over to teach em if they aren't gonna do it right?

Very true ... I stayed away but still read the newspapers even before the time of WWW.

Now I miss being there. Some things are a lot easier in Japan. Island of contradictions.

Just too many people at one place - it's quite amazing that it seems they can actually function without freaking out. Or are they ?

There are lot's of suicides everywhere ...

Japan had heaps 30 years ago. Australia not much then but now there are lots!

I'm talking about adolescents.

I reckon there's a decline in breeders. Especially amongst the so called "intelligentsia " white collared middle class. Maybe it's depressing to bring kids into this world as it is. Maybe not wanting to be parents, or lifestyle.

Or maybe it's something to do with because our world is over-populated.

I reckon there's a decline in breeders. Especially amongst the so called "intelligentsia " white collared middle class. Maybe it's depressing to bring kids into this world as it is. Maybe not wanting to be parents, or lifestyle.

I am getting together with many of my High School friends tonight - some of us are still best friends, some recently back in touch and getting on like a house on fire (took one snowboarding with me a month ago) - and a couple of others who I will be seeing for the first time in 23 yrs.

We are all 40.

Out of the group of 7 meeting tonight:
* only 3 are married (me included)
* only 3 have children (me-4, one married friend-3, one friend in a de-facto marriage - 2)
* one that is married has chosen not to have children.
* 4 are single and have no children.

I think that is a adequate reflection of the ratio's in the general community - from what I see anyway. I think that is a huge deviation from what it has been in the past generations.
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Let's be honest-if we really hated Japan we wouldn't be here?

Of course we wouldn't but that doesn't mean there's not a whole lot of things that we don't like and would like to see changed. Disliking a whole lot of things doesn't automatically mean we hate Japan though. The things I like about living here outweigh the things I dislike but it's good to have forums like this to vent our frustrations now and again.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear

I am getting together with many of my High School friends tonight - some of us are still best friends, some recently back in touch and getting on like a house on fire (took one snowboarding with me a month ago) - and a couple of others who I will be seeing for the first time in 23 yrs.

We are all 40.

Out of the group of 7 meeting tonight:
* only 3 are married (me included)
* only 3 have children (me-4, one married friend-3, one friend in a de-facto marriage - 2)
* one that is married has chosen not to have children.
* 4 are single and have no children.

I think that is a adequate reflection of the ratio's in the general community - from what I see anyway. I think that is a huge deviation from what it has been in the past generations.

OK, that's the bogan point of view, now for the white collared middle class... rollabout

Females....can be Bogans (that better).

Yes absolutely.

But Bogans are not necessarily "yobbo's" - our token Bogan is a really lovely thoughtful girl. She just wont wear a skirt, polishes her muscle car more than weekly, can fix your car or your PC problems and really loves ACDC music...

well....I know it is a car to have the eyeballs of men pop when they see it - it may well be a Torana - but seeing as I am a GIRL ---> and most definitely NOT a Bogan girl - despite seeing her car on NUMEROUS occasions and having long conversations about said car....I do not remember what it was.

Papa will.

friend of mine just bought a genuine General Lee from the original tv production series, complete with autographed dashboard.

Apparently they used around 300 to make the tv series and had a workshop on set to continuously rebuild them

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
friend of mine just bought a genuine General Lee from the original tv production series, complete with autographed dashboard.

Apparently they used around 300 to make the tv series and had a workshop on set to continuously rebuild them

Some people really do have more money than sense don't they? rolleyes