Okay here's the deal.

I have many jackets that I use for the mountain, but none snowsport specific. I got ones with snowskirts, but no hood or functional goddies. I got ones with no snowskirt, but made of Goretex. I got down and fake down ones too! Basically I have a good amount to open a wee second hand "not good for much jacket" shop.

I MIGHT be in the market for a snowsport specific jacket and I wish to pick all your brains.

What are you wearing as an outer layer?

What do you wear under it?

Do you swear by it?

Mogski - this years jacket for me is a simple thermal and t shirt with columbia outer. Its worth spending the money on Marmot, North face or Columbia - last year I had a quiksilver and it looked ok but sucked.

The essentials are pit vents and powder skirt.

Im trying to keep the jacket thin for those long hikes.......

two ply gortex Marmot jacket, ripstop. Snow skirt, adj. hood w/ wire peak. Pit zips. Lightweight, great pocket pos. including wrist pocket. Great gelande and backcountry jacket, never use anything else.

Under that, just a layering system, thin undies (polprop.) mid fleece pullover, thick fleece (marmot pile) for big freeze/base camp. Prefer pile to down, down takes a lot of energy and time to heat, pile gets you warm faster/works better if yer underfed.

patagonia bibs/salopettes. Light, strong, but yer kinda look like a farmer. For all but the worst weather, I often just go thermal base and bibs. Marmot do a great bib too, but I'm not gonna mention it lest I start sounding like a rep.

If you wear a helmet, there isn't much point to a hood. And the snappers on your powder skirt have to line up with and be the same size as the ones on your trousers, otherwise the pow just shoves it's way on up anyway.

I'd stay with the Goretex jacket and get high-waisted trousers (is that bibs? I thought bibs were for catching baby dribble...)

It really depends on how much you ride...1.OUTERWARE "Goretex" "sympatex" and the many other no-name(just as good) versions will work well if your riding 100plus days a year in whatever conditions mother nature can dish out or are a true backcountry enthusiest... The great thing about goretex is the 30,000-35,000+ mm (the voulume of water(presure) needed to penitrait the garment)waterproofing the down side is that the breathability of the fabric is very low 5,000-10,000, meaning it keeps water out as well as in (sweat). If your more of a fair weathered rider/skier there is no need to spend the extra money for jacket that will soak you from the inside out on a sunny day.(even with the best vetilation system). Your better off opting for middle end jacket (10,000-20,000 waterproffing) with better breathabilty and more yen in your pocket. However essetials in a jacket are vents(as well as pants) and a powder skirt... This is breif but the proccess can be much more complex, like style points (all the hot new neon colors avaliable today) anyway good luck...

i think the most important thing is your first layer (polypropylene) and a good pair of snowpants. overalls are the best because then you dont need to worry about a waist gaitor in your jacket and you never have plumber butt in them which is cold in the winter!!

jacket things arent really *that* important. i'd make sure i had pit zips and one of those zipper covers at the top so that the zipper doesnt irritate your chin.

still more snowboarding dreams last night!

la miff de nagoya