This really annoys me. They had a cup or two of sake on Jan 3, presumably to celebrate the New Year, and now it's news and the management is going to inspect the personal belongings of employees.

I'm looking forward to the backlash from drunks everywhere. I feel it coming. These 'drinking is a sin' w*nkers need to be told in no uncertain terms that a few drinks are no impediment to operating heavy machinery, piloting any vehicle, performing medical procedures, or supervising a chairlift.

If necessary, introduce a drunk driving license. You drive a car round a set course, steadily drinking your way through a 6-pack of beer (2 packs if necessary). The first time you make a mistake, the test stops and the empties in the passenger side footwell are counted. Then your limit is determined by the following formula:

Males; Total of empties -1

Females; Total of empties -3

That limit is written on your driver's license, and no policenanny can touch you unless you foul up.

When will we realize that drinking is not fouling up and a punishable act? It's the fouling up that should be a punishable act.

man are you for real?

when it comes to driving cars, i fully support the laws against drinking. most people cant drive properly at the best of times.

There are people who can drive shitfaced and there are people who can't. That's what the drunk driving test would determine.

I and most of the people I associate with can be almost legless, and it is so undetectable that only they can tell. But you may only be able to drink one tinnie before you bend the test vehicle, so with the formula above, you wouldn't be allowed to drink.

Did anyone see that poor lady that got very very badly burnt when a drunk moron crashed into her car. He (the drunk driver) was pretty much fine and the lady in the other car is now totally disfigured. Went through crazy amounts of rehab and the like.

There was an email floating around with a bunch of pretty horrific photo's and captions.

I have never driven drunk, and i never will. There is no way I feel totally in control after even a couple of beers.

Cones on the other hand..........

There are clearly people who do drink and drive and who don't crash into and hurt other people. Why limit their freedom just because of a few berks who don't know their limit?

Get serious and test it. A bit of booze doesn't turn everybody into a vomit-spraying car-wrecking idiot - especially those of us who have been drinking since we were eight.

I expect a few slugs of sake does wonders for a lifty's concentration.

Yeah, well I was good enough at tumbling down the slopes without having a couple of tinnies at lunchtime, so I stopped that. I still like a nip of strong umeshu throughout the day though.

They have already tested the effects on alcohol on reaction time, hence the ban on alcohol when driving.

I thought that was common knowledge but obviously not.

They have already tested the ability of humans to drive cars, but they still test the ability of each individual human to see if they can do it safely.

Your sarcasm is misdirected ...

Well I think we will just have to let this be.

When Ocean after drinking far to much gets behind the wheel of his 1979 Penis Rocket with eagle on the hood and kills an innocent family of 6 coming back from getting some ice cream on a hot summers night (Mom, Dad and 1 child little BillY are killed instantly. Mary-Jane, Jack and Tommy are all burned alive while Ocean walks away without a scratch) and then ends up in jail doing 15 - life drops the soap and gets raped figures out he likes it and upon release gets married to his prison lover and adopts a young boy or girl then and only then we can all go to him and say

I Told You So

This after reading a couple pages of the Gay Marriage post.

\:\( ;\) \:D :rolleyes: mad.gif eek.gif lol.gif

congrats ocean, u have safely managed to identify the concept known as tolerance. those who drink then drive on a regular basis are far more skilled than those who rarely drink and drive. its an aquired ability. u have to aquire it by practising under those conditions.

alcohol will still dull your reaction times. and your ability to not drive into the curb does not equate to your ability to avoid the unexpected (however infrequent this might be).

But really Ocean I think it's cool that you write your opinion and stand by your beleifs.

But back to the topic. I have driven drunk and made it home safe. I wasn't loaded. I leave that for when I ride my bike. But I see no problem with having 2 or 3 beers so 1 litre tops over an evening of socializing and then driving home. Back in Canada I did this regularly. 3 beers was my limit though. Was I over the legal limit of 0.08 maybe. Not sure as I was never tested.

But you have to draw the line somewhere. Having a 6 pack in an hour and then getting behind the wheel is dangerous. Having a 6 pack over a long evening of eating and having fun is probably safe if your very careful but it is wrong.

But we also have to factor in the human impredicability issue. Can you predict that car in front of you will cut you off or car in front of you to not run the red light and slam on the brakes. No you can't and although you might be a safe driver while drinking you can't predict what other people are going to do.

Hope this makes sense.

I don't know why y'all keep missing the point, although I suspect that it's probably an ingrained habit of not thinking things through.

Yes, alcohol inhibits response time

Yes, driving requires responses to unpredictable events

No, not everybody can do it under even the best circumstances

No, it is not desirable that everybody drive after drinking

Hence ... the test, to see who can actually do it.

You test sober people to see if they can manoeuvre the car in a narrow space, and stomp on the brakes when wily old testing matey bangs his clipboard on the dashboard. If they fail the test, tough, they can't drive. But, even if they have only one eye, or one leg, or are short-sighted but compensate using spectacles, and they can still pass the test, then they can drive. Cool!

It's a bit naive to suppose that because the law says you shouldn't do it, nobody does it, hence it is totally dangerous and totally reprehensible. And in fact, some European laws, including the UK's, still tolerate a certain amount of drinking and driving. For the sake of civilization.

As mikazooki points out, tolerance to alcohol is the key here - hence the ultimate test should be whether you prang your vehicle or not. Not whether you have had a few drinks or not.

Chances of this state of affairs coming about? 0% or thereabouts...

The test has been done. It found that people who have a so-called tolerance for alcohol were affected in the same way as everybody else. There was no significant difference in reaction times. With regards to driving impairment, alcohol affected everybody the same way.

Note that tests on driving impairment due to cannabis do not show this. IIRC, levels of impairment were not nearly so linear or predictable, with experienced smokers typically showing little or no impairment.

A joke for AC/DC fans -

Q. What were Bon Scott's last words?

A. I'm alright to drive.

Ocean get your head out of your butt drunk driving is wrong no matter how you spin it.

alcohol effects you differently each time your drunk. Bad mood good mood etc. Ocean your plain wrong.

About them lifties I wouldnt let anyone into my things cause some boners decided to drink on the job.