Ideas for heating van for sleeping

Need some ideas for keeping my van reasonably warm during the sleeping hours without having to be shaken to bits by the idling of the diesel engine.

Anyone got any proven or reasonable ideas?

hot water bottle!

I saw an article in a Japanese ski mag and it had all about how to sleep in the car and be warm. They put snowfoam stuff over all the windows with velcro spots, and had a good thick lilo kinda thing. The guy suggested wearing your boot liners to bed to keep your tooties warm!!! It was a fairly recient mag so have a leaf at your local bookstore and you might see it.

Originally posted by snowboard_freak:

[QB]You reckon 6 will be enough db??

He asked for reasonable suggestions. 8-10 is not reasonable, the windows would fog up to much plus it would increase the chances of the inevitable "I have to go to the toilet" sleepus interuptus.

Quote:

You reckon 6 will be enough db??

He asked for reasonable suggestions. 8-10 is not reasonable, the windows would fog up to much plus it would increase the chances of the inevitable "I have to go to the toilet" sleepus interuptus.

A few ideas tha worked for me in Hokkaido winter.

1. Line the floor with layers of silver insulating mats (gin matto).

2. Put two Hokalons just above your tail bones.

3. Use yutannpo in your sleeping bag

4. Use a sleeping bag liner

5. Leave open a hair one window (so I don't die)

6. wear warm clothing to bed, a knit cap to socks.

7. Have a thermos with hot drink by your side.

8. Get drunk (helps fall asleep fast)

I didn't plug the windows, but it may increase your comfort. What really helped was the knit cap (I used balclava), fleece gloves and a pair of down tent socks.

Why only 8-10? I can easily get 20 \:D

Here is what I have:

Sleeping pag with 200 series Polartec fleece liner, big duvet, fleece beanie and pillow, but things are still cool in the van.

I like the velcro stuff on the windows thingy! Investigation may be required on this one.

db you may be right about the pension costs, but there is no fun in that! Sliding for me now is about the greater picture!

BTW, you keen to do a day trip to Niigata sometime soon?

Going back to the question of the 6 naked women...I believe the original question was "Ideas for heating van for sleeping".

I really can't see how anyone is going to get any sleep with six naked women in the van!

I can just imagine the predicament and the ensuing dialogue:"Markie, I'm cold...me too...hey what about me...etc" Definitely not getting any sleep.

hey moggy,

regarding a niigata trip - i sent you an email.

as for keeping warm in the car I would do what ever people who hike in the snow do to keep warm in their tent. You can buy a gas heater for camping but they are dangerous and burn oxygen, plus produce light.

Quote:
Originally posted by db:
You can buy a gas heater for camping but they are dangerous and burn oxygen, plus produce light.
I would prefer solutions that guarntee my existence into the next powder day...

funny bout this thread, i just spent two nights out of three sleeping in a van in hakuba. i had all the usual stuff, heaps of blankets and my 3 season sleeping bag and i slept pretty well. I agree with IM here, the tuke makes a huge difference.

There are cheap/free places where u can crash, 24 hour onsens for example. The "echolandnoyu" in hakuba(just down the road from the 7-11 near happo) costs only 600 yen to spend the night there. Sure it's noisy as ****(ie people snoring like there's no tomorrow) but the plus side is the room upstairs is heated and the lights are turned off plus u can go and warm up in the onsen too. Bring your sleeping bag too cos sleeping on tatami mats isn't the best thing for your back. oh yeh, if a guy hassles u for a thousand yen more(apparently it costs 600 to enter and 1000 more to sleep there), just tell him u've already paid and he'll leave u alone.

with my recent long drive to northern japan, which appeared pretty easy for a foreigner, plus all this talk about sleeping in cars, which I love to do as it means I can take my dog anywhere, I am really starting to think about buying a car.

Quote:
stud muffin
More like a stud croissant
:p

sorry mogs, couldn't help myself.

Moggy is the owner of the ultimate 4wd surf/snow van, but that isn't the main reason I like the guy, honest.

Awsome "smiley!"

If i was in a van freezing then i'd be sure to take another person (yes drew!) so that the warmth of the other person warms you..

i'd be taking along one of those heat bags u knoe the ones with lavander in them that u microwave?? we'll they never seem to go cold if they stay in ur sleeping bag!

and THERMAL sox.... 4 sure...! \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by s_f_g / sam:
...the ones with lavander in them that u microwave??
sorry to be a smart arse sam, but...

If he could have had a bludy microwave in the car he probably wouldn't have any heating problems anyway, yeah? ;\)

Wheat bag? One is enough \:D

Has anyone experience with connecting an electric heater to a spare car battery? How about someone else's car battery? \:D