im very mac biased but....

heres my 2 cents...!

mmm... well since tablets are used for graphics are pcs arent very good for graphics

combinding the 2 would be silly i think....

i have a G4 powerbook, i use it pretty heavily for graphics and it holds up under pressure! its an awsome little machine....

i also own a wacom graphics tablet intuos 2 its the larger one the active area is 16 (height) cm by bout 22 cm (width) the pen has a very sensitive tip and its got a pressure function so the harder you press the wider the brush stroke.. etc..

anyways i have a friend who has used one of the wacom tablets that project the screen on to the surface (the same as the laptops but you plug ur puter in to it) and she said it was awsome but your hand got really really hot using it so you got a sweaty palm and had to keep stoping work.

i imagine with out a fan in the screen the same thing would happen since the screen is removable... i know how hot my lappy gets its a killer it burns if its on ur lap untill the fan kicks in...

Fantastic idea the tablet lappys are but i dont think theres much point.... if your serious bout graphics then you'd be reconidering! you need a large screen and a good qaulity tablet for graphic design and web design..

i dont imagine they would provide good colour to them either?

but what ever tickles ppls fancy!

we saw one only a coulpe of days ago and they do have a rather small screen....

meh...

im very happy (couldnt be happier) with my g4 powerbook and wacom tablet... and my imac on the side!

ENJOY

ps. i didnt mean to offend anyone but its just my opinion!

CAIO!

sammo

I'm a little off topic here, but I just got a used Mac G4 PB 667 yesterday. It's gorgeous. LOVE the shape of the screen..... Sam - are you a graphic artist? I have an Intuos also (first version), just the smallee, only the standard pen. Haven't gotten into the graphic side so much yet - (too scary - hours pass like seconds when I play with Painter), in the meantime I love using it with Audio apps and as a mouse replacement (along with a trackball at times - I hate mice).

On topic: I love the touch screens of palms, and loved the look of the wacom touch screen - haven't seen the tablet PC yet, I'll take a squizz after I return from hokkaido.

G'Day sunrise,

I'll answer for Sam as she may not be able to check the forums before we leave tomorrow. She has worked as a graphic designer and has studied it at college. Very talented girl!!! But i could be a bit biased. \:\)

Good choice on the PowerBook, beautiful machines, i use one myself.

I got an iPod yesterday as well for my trip. Absolutley awesome little thing!!

ah mogs! i'll answer that one for ya!

drew (SF) isnt a student at the mom although we both studied interactive multimedia at tafe last year, im not going back to tafe but drew is unsure at the stage he may be doing web design...

as for me yes i studied graphic design and worked as a designer but i didnt like the restriction of not being able to do what you want and haing to do what the client says!

this year i'll be doing dimetional illustraion for a book my sister and i have written! (kids book!) and im getting my portfolio together!

sunrise try photoshop its an awsome program if you can get ur hands on it its worth learning and premiere or imovie awsome for ripping pics from footage (u just bought a digital video camera yeah?)

Kick Ass!

cu all in japan TOMORROW!!!!

yayayayya \:D \:D

Not a student anymore mogs - as sam has said. I've done a fair bit of study now and am pretty sick of it now. i've tried my hand at a fair few different subject matters.

As Sam mentioned i might be doing some web design work for a rather large company this year - but thats not certain yet,

Here we go again. To say that PCs aren't very good for graphics is complete bull shit. Tell me one graphics program that you can run on a mac that I cannot on a PC. I don't want to hear that Macs are way faster for graphics programs either. It is completely relative to the speed of the computer. Sure graphics programs may run more efficiently on a Mac, but to say they don't run well on a PC is ignorant.

I think we have explored the subject of multiple mouse buttons in the past as well.

You're wasting your time there ender, the girl never listens... She'll still be thunking diffrent next year.

The only valid thing to say on this subject was that you could only get proper WYSIWYG colour printing with Macs, but that's probably been sorted out on the PC too now.

Lots of Mac-made products still don't work properly in what is still very much a PC world.

Not so methinks. I've had all sorts of problems with both platforms - my first Mac was a piece of junk cobbled together with 3 majorly defective parts, and the OS couldn't manage a force quit either.

XP is quite stable, and manages problems gracefully. It feels like a real OS at last.

Until you can just talk to your PC (and be fully understood), things like tablets and so on don't seem to be much of an advance.

to SF - iPod: cannot live without.

Even though the one I got (bought cheap off a friend, the first 5 gig model) has a sucking battery, which doesn't last long..... Thankfully it makes travelling around with MDs a thing of the past.... I'm praying for the day they bring out one that records.

Sam: I'm still waiting for my camera. A friend was trying to grab a good deal and is going to send it to me. That new OSX suite for all that stuff looks good, though I haven't migrated yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Sunrise and anyone else with an iPod - I have been seriously considering buying the 20GB model. Any experiences you can share (with any model)? How is the interface? Can you play whole directories? Randomize multiple directories? Play playlist (.m3u?) files?

Did anyone buy theirs in Japan? Is the interface in Japanese (ie is the Japanese model different than the American model?)?

Most importantly, how tough is it? Does it feel fragile? Ever skip? Ever dropped it? Would you take it boarding?