G'Day guys and gals!

One our recent trip to Niseko we noticed that a lot of snowboarders do a "bum sliding" type thing down small declines to get to other lifts, car parks etc. That is, they set their board down, sit on the stomp pad (or there abouts) and slide down the hill. Here in Oz i've never seen anyone do it, but hoards of people seem to do it in Japan, well Niseko anyway.

We induldged in a bit of bum sliding every now and again. Anyone else?

And to all you Americans, Canadians, NZ'ers etc, is there a bum sliding thing there??

cheers

The only people that I have seen doing it in Aus were Japanese tourists. I am surpised that patrols don't do something about them, especially seeing some of them I saw had failed to slide a trail, and decided to use their boards as toboggans.

Yeah I saw a few do it at Niseko too, one dizzy woman did near me halfway up the mountain outside a lodge, promptly fell off, and her board scooted towards me, if I had stopped it it would have rocketed away towards the bottom and likely killed someone in the process....

should be given the kickass.gif

I've seen it called the 'Russian tank commander', though god knows why. I think I've seen pics of groups of people having races, maybe foreigners in Japan. It's a dumb thing to do, unless you happen to be too injured to walk, and even then, it's well dodgy.

Get SI and the urge to try it will disappear completely...

sounds stupid - why not just skate ? I think a funny trick would be to get in the way of a bum slider, feign an injury, then threaten to sue once you fell over

- should suit us "sue happy American" types just fine ;\)

• 1 month later...

I guess the moral of this story is not to knock it until you try it. Props to Ocean for the name drop.

Ladies and gentlemen. This is the basis for what we like to call...

Tank Commander

but trust me folks, this aint your momma's "bum sliding." We've taken this to a whole new level.

Media coming soon.

A demonstration of advanced Tank Commanding would have been well placed at the not to be Naeba party.

By next years party there will be ample supply of new participants to provide a demonstration. Perhaps the pioneers could be invited as guest commentators, sign a few snowboards and give some advice on how to really tweak the 'Tank Commander to Pointdexter'.

I think HTML code should be disabled. It is unfair as I can't remember how to do it, even though:

a) I have made a web site before (ok, only a geocities one)

B) I was using HTML and http and all that other webby stuff back in '91 at university.