Ok my handle has a really really dumb explaination so forgive me if you get to the end and go "that sucks"

So I have a twin sister, yes identical, and when we were in high school we both studied German and there was only 1 class by about 5th form (your 3rd to last year) and we were both in it. It was quite small, mabye about 15 of us so got to know everyone pretty well. So, the German word for twin is Zwillig and our mates used to refer to us as the Zwilligs. Somehow along the way we started calling each other Zwillig as in "hey Zwillig can you lend me your jeans" etc (great having someone same size and same taste around) and it somehow got corrupted to Zwelg. So when I was signing up for hotmail in 98 when I was studying in Japan I wanted something more original than myname@hotmail.com and some punk had taken zwelg so zwelgen it was. Just to make my sister laugh, never imagined Id still be using it 5 years later. It was just the logical choice for a handle.

And the reason I often drove to the beach was because I wanted to spend my time on the beach not walking through neighbourhoods for 15 mins or so to get there, Id much rather spend that extra half hr on the sand. That and there was a fab icecream shop on the way home that was close enough to drive to but too far to walk. ;\)

I usually call people by their names when Im chilling with them in "real life" but online I use their handles. Until Ive met someone they are still their online name, eg. Ive met O11 but not really chilled with him so in my mind hes sill Ocean11.

Hey Ocean are you hitting Noz this weekend? The Iiyama snow fest is on Sat that Im working at but will be at Noz Fri, Sun, Mon and Tues. Might maybe go to Hakuba one day, maybe. Lemmie know.

So db, I just assumed that was your initials. Your name is seriously Rupert? Yeah you looked a bit like a Rupert in your pics ha ha ha

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

zwelgen, not going up this Saturday (I have to play husband and father this weekend and watch some 'koma circus'). But I think the kanchu yasumi is maybe on next mon and tues, so I may very well be heading up. Definitely give you a shout when it's decided. Wouldn't mind going to Hakuba either if my mates are being picky about the snow at Nozawa.

i use felisolia for yahoo and aim, but i was having trouble registering with sj, so i kept trying different things to get it to work. both felisolia and nekobi mean cat-sun... my name's kat and in high school i would always draw doodles of the sun on my notebooks. yeah, i know, lame-o.

zwelgen and O11- i will be joining the noz party fri and sun and tues, but could be persuaded to check out hakuba one of those days.

Zwelgen - That is a very sound origin for a name.

My real name isn't Rupert. But It is my dogs nickname. His reall name is Lloyd, but we are great mates, so I often use his nickname.

My real name is Melvin.

This is Lloyd. He has only seen snow once.

userpic10011pic33df9de99cdada.JPG

One day I was wondering if I should have named him Rupert rather than Lloyd. I called him Rupert to see how he would react and he gave me a funny look. I left it there. Some time later I realised that the poor thing didnt have a nickname (all australians have a nickname). I often informally call him Lloydy but felt it was a little name. I then remembered Rupert as an alternative name and decided upon that as a nickname. Toi be honest, he didnt have much of a role (or a say) in determining his nickname.

Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:

Is it mog (long O like mogul) ski? I always read it mog (like goggle) ski.

Pronounce it as you like, but I am partial to the mog of "goggle"

Zwelgen I am shocked that you would let an ice cream shop dictate your method of transport!! But I like the excuse!! ;\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by snowboard_freak:
Hey db...
.what kind of dog is "Rupert"
Lloyd (Rupert) is an American Cockerspaniel. Pretty much smaller body, smaller head and more fur than the standard (english) cocker. Also more stupid.

Speaking of pronounciation, ender, how do you say "3nd"??

Hem now is pijin english - in PNG, it denotes approval, like "right on", or "I hear ya bro"

I used it every day for months (as an expression, not a name), and it stuck in my vocab when I came home.

hem now

And that's the 2rd time I've seen that picture of your dog. He looks slightly belligerent - I guess it's because he doesn't have a regular name, and doesn't like having his hair done 'big' for photos.

Quote:
Originally posted by mogski:
Zwelgen I am shocked that you would let an ice cream shop dictate your method of transport!! But I like the excuse!! ;\)
Its not an excuse. I am seriously addicted to icecream. I went through a stage last summer where I HAD to have icecream everyday. It was essential, I couldnt sleep without my icecream fix. So I decided that it was unhealthy and that I didnt want to get fat so I weaned myself off it. But the feeling is still there, everytime I drink I like to eat icecream on the way home, much to Baroks disgust! Its so sweet and creamy and tasty mmmmmm.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
because he doesn't have a regular name
99% of teh time he is called Lloyd. I only use Rupert when I am giving him a hard time, like, "good one Rupert! only you would eat their own vomit".

way way slow reply, but thanks db. love getting feedback about the site.

ok, concerning the forum names, i guess i haven't been in this game long enough. maybe i'll learn to call people by their forum names ... ?

anyway, this is an interesting thread! good call db

db - man you have sure become a cheeky bastard since your return from Europe. Ahh you see i have the email still in my inbox that reveals all - heh heh.

What are you talking about man. My post is still there. It is the last one on the first page.

It's funny that just recently I realized 3nd looks like a cross between 2nd and 3rd. It is really just 1337 for end ... if ya follow.

w0rd

i got you enderzero-- back in my high school days before everyone had cell phones, it was popular to have a beeper- often a gift from a boyfriend to keep tabs on his girl. anyways, you could only enter digits when you beep someone, so you used numbers to look like letters. ie 6000 = good 843= bye ... can't remember any others off the top of my head.

Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:

It's funny that just recently I realized 3nd looks like a cross between 2nd and 3rd. It is really just 1337 for end ... if ya follow.

w0rd
Endo, whatever you are on I want some! That has gotta be some good stuff to do create this!