Actually it is possible, but very painful to get rid of tat's yourself.

I have heard that a lot of sailors used to do before the advent of laser removal. The idea is that you use a lot of salt and rub it into the tat and this acts like a sand paper and basically rips the skin off. Pretty gross and sore and it takes a long time.

I'm thinking of having a tattoo of a large chunk of Edam on my left shoulder. I think it would look very fashionable, and also identify me as a cheesefan to other cheesefans.

Any famous people have Cheese tattoos that you know of?

Hello. Pedant here. Tattoo, being a normal noun, does not require an apostrophe to make the plural form. Just thought some of yous might be interested to know that.

Having gone to the trouble of getting tattoos, I can't see the point of trying to remove them. But then I can't see the point of getting them in the first place.

yeah, who on the forum is inked? i know enderzero just joined the club. I've got one on my back. it's a bonsai tree i got years before coming to japan. i still dig it, but it's kinda emabarassing when my students tell me only old men are interested in bonsai trees.

I started a thread a while ago called 'Got Tats?' - check it out for who's got what.

I just find that the human skin doesn't make a very good medium for artwork, and the practitioners of the art are generally of very poor skill. So you end up with only a crude rendering of whatever it is you choose to have done. There is no equivalency between the meaning of the image chosen in relation to the time taken to put it there, the significance given it by the wearer, and its quality as a work of art. Personally I can think of no image that I want to see everyday or that I want other people to see on me.

An old girlfriend had a rose on her shoulder. It was quite simple and not badly done, but her shoulder was a lot nicer than the tattoo, and on balance would have looked even nicer without the rose. No, I haven't been brutalized by anyone with tats, but I have seen friends go and get themselves 'done' with the greatest expectations, and then seen the suddenly thoughtful look they have when they've paid for it. Similarly I have felt the pain of friends who have gone through the much longer removal process.

As for piercings, I can't help but think of it as mutilation which I consider to be a primitive act of destruction. Hey, let's cut off part of our penis! Why? Um... Same thing with getting pierced. The results often look more like blemishes than anything else. Personally, I have enough scars from injury and operations to want to go inflicting more wanton damage. (I have a very nice Nike logo scar on my hand from trying to karate chop a shard of broken beer glass in half - that and all the others are quite enough.)

ocean - While there are probably more "crude renderings" than good ones out there, there are lots of highly skilled and experienced tatoo artists that can get photographically precise. Japanese tatoo artists (working by hand or by machine) have a really beautiful style and look to their work that can be super intricate and detailed.

I've been "inked" five times nekobi, and I've got plans for another two at some stage in the not too distant future. I think i posted my current tattoos in the thread that O11 mentioned.

I still don't see what your beef is with tattoos though. Each to thier own though.

For some good quality (but quite macarbe (sp???)) pieces of artwork check out some stuff by Paul Booth. Doing a search for his name should bring up some good results. He has a website but I can't remember what it is.

Quote:
Originally posted by zwelgen:
O11 why are you so against tatoos, piercings and whatever else? Did a big tatooed pierced person give you a bad experience sometime...?
.... and was he a skier??

sorry, it had to be asked.

I used to draw shit like that, but then I grew up and got a life...

Those are very ugly images and quite worthless (this from a lover of Hieronymus Bosch's art).

The colours in tattoos are all dreary and depressing too, unlike the colours of real skin. But each to their own. I'm off to drill holes in my knuckles because I think that the result may be aesthetically pleasing.

O11 that is such bullshit.

You grew up and got a life?? Get off your high horse mate.

Just because someone is a tattoo artist as a profession it does not mean that they have any less of a life than you, or anyone for that matter.

I don't like all of Paul Booth's work, and it is probably not something that i would choose to have tattooed on me. I was posting it because i believe he gets great detail in his art and i thought some other open minded forum members might be interested.

For me, i didn't get my tats because i thought they were aesthetically pleasing. I got them for me, of designs that symbolise something important to me.

Cheers

beer.gif

we have all heard the corny cliche:

You live, then you die. It is what you do in between that matters.

Some how I just can't concede that the amount of ink you have under your skin matters and I never understood why so many people are so anti-ink. However it does give me a chuckle.

My taste in tattoo's is very unpopular, so I am the odd one out within the odd one out group of tattooed people. It is a double whammy for me.

As for anti-ink arguments, I just don't understand them, much the same as the proponents of them don't understand tattoo's. My only response to them is the childish retort "so what?"... said with an amused, perplexed look on my face.

I have lived 99% of my life with a "so what" attitude and I am doing very well so far.

I do however cringe a bit with the el-tougho stigma attached to tatt's. what was that piss take song..."he's gettin' real bad/he's gettin' ink done". Off Spring I think. I have a mate that calls them 'tough stamps'. He doesn't care for them much.

I think it is amazing what some tattoo artists can do. I would never choose one of those designs, but I am impressed by the sheer skill. Somewhat like quality graffiti (in a socially acceptable designated area).

We do seem to have hit some raw nerves here.

I've considered getting tattooed myself, but could never be bothered. It doesn't trouble me that people have them, and I don't look down on people who get 'em done. But I never saw anybody who looked better for it.

And that bloke's work is ugly. Amazingly detailed ugly. And very teenage. 'Last Rites' ooh, scary. Is he Catholic or what?

It amuses me how people get so upset that somebody might dare to voice the opinion that something they like is ugly or juvenile. What, you want everybody to think the same thing or shut up? Come on, get off your high horse yourself.

I think you need to re-read your post Ocean. There are nice ways to voice your opinions and there are immature and annoying ways to voice your. Sometimes when you voice your opinion you are very condescending.

If you think his work is ugly, thats fine. To be honest i don't care. But it is the way that you express yourself.

Example:

Quote:
And very teenage. 'Last Rites' ooh, scary. Is he Catholic or what?
Why don't you just say that you don't like the name?

And i don't want people to have the same opinion as me, because that would be very boring. It is not the voicing of different opinions that gets to me, it is the way in which it is delivered.

Look mate, I've been seeing stuff like that for years with the same - to my mind - pathetic reliance on Christian imagery, and I'm surprised that anybody can still take it seriously. I certainly can't. But you want me to pretend I do.

> Why don't you just say that you don't like the name?

Well, because that wouldn't convey the utter contempt I have for the name, nor the ennui I feel when I see more stuff like that. Sorry if that grates with your 'let's all get along by not voicing dissent' totalitarian/utopian idealism.

I can only suggest that if my opinions upset you that much, that you don't read them.

\:D Peas

OK, i will say it one more time.

Your opinions DO NOT upset me. I have said that already. It's the way you do it that gets on my nerves.

I'm not even going to bother with the rest of your post, or this thread anymore. It's pointless.

See you in another thread!

• 3 weeks later...