recently broke with my tradition of not buying my colleagues a present when i go away from the office for a week or so. For some crazy reason I splashed out and bought the Japanese guy a rather stylishly packaged & attractive set of chop sticks made from coconut palm wood.

He opened them and said "oh, ok, um, thanks" and put them away. Nothing more was said.

By the slightest chance, is there some cultural thing I don't know about, like giving a gift of chop sticks means that I think your wife is a whore?

seriously, are chopstick gifts reserved for a certain occasion? Or is this guy just a rude bugger that won't ever get diddly from me in the future.

unless they were jutting out of rice at the time of you giving.....there shouldnt be a problem.

The guy sounds like a tool. here I will flip him a virtual bird for you fu2.gif

sometimes people are shy and dont know how to accept gifts etc. Often when you give someone something they open it later when you arent there etc. Still doesnt excuse this guy I reckon

are you sure you really "bought" the chopsticks and didn`t just wrap up the same pair that he gave you at the company New Year`s party ? I could see how that might sour him a little.

cool.gif