GG, yes that is what a good christian would do. But i have not many, if any, christians that would be able to forgive the murderer.

But then again i suppose if depends on your definition of a "good christian".

Personally, i'm an eye for an eye person. I don't turn the other cheek. But thats just me and this type of thought is not for everyone. I've been in soooo many debates/arguments about the eye for an eye thing.

Sorry to bring up such a morbid thread again, but I was left bamboozled last night after watching a BBC 2 documentary on criminals on death row in the US (various states).

In their wisdom, the authorities in these states had decided to forcibly administer drugs to various insane inmates (these guys were clearly BONKERS, one even thinking that the Psychiatrist could melt him with her eyes).

I know the old adage of believe half of what you read and less than that of what you see, but the production company that made this piece are pretty objective. The level of debate and intelligence on this forum encouraged me to post this, plus the fact that the people on here come from far and wide.

What a bunch of liberal pansys there are lurking on this board. Let the punishment fit the crime I say. If someone murders, hang them. If they rape, have them subjected to gang rape, GBH, well, the victim can have a right crack, with the help of the biggest mothers he/she can find.

Ummmm...

On a less sarcastic note, if you're gonna kill someone for murder, why not fit the punishment to the crime all round? Why be arbituary when you can be systematic?

Oh, by the way, the UN approach is great, unfortunately no one will give a damn, and, you guessed it, i'm fully against the death penalty, in the same way im against any violence (especially perpetrated by those in positions of authority).

Enderzero said it best for me.

It is inexcusable for just one innocent person to die. And for that reason there should be no death penalty.

Put aside the rhetoric for a moment and just sit back and quietly imagine what it would feel like, the frustration, the despair, of knowing that you were to be killed by the state for no reason. Incomprehensible.

EnderZ made good points.

I think it's a bit of an understatement to say our legal system isn't flawless. In America, if you've got the money, you can get away with murder. OJ proved that fact with the nation watching.

About a month or so ago the New York "preppy killer" got to walk free after 15 years in prison. For those of you that don't know the case, the "preppy killer" was a young rich white guy from the upper east side, who was convicted for strangling some girl and leaving her under a tree in central park. If you took the same case, and changed the killer to a poor black guy from the bronx, I guarantee he would either still be in prison, or If he was tried after NY reinstated the death penalty, he would've been executed.

btw, about the eye for an eye quote... the original quote is:

"An Eye for an Eye makes the whole world blind" -Mahatma Ghandi