well, the seasons coming to an end and i was thinking of somthing we could all talk about. I read a thread a few days ago talking about the "legality" of kazaa and other p2p networks. lo and behold i found this article at Time.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101030505-447204,00.html

just out of curiosity, how many people would use a service like pressplay over downloading thru kazaa?

i would consider it, but it would have to be cheap, faster and more reliable than p2p... tough ask for a startup facing stiff competition.

my p2p question is...isnt sharing meant to be a warm, generous thing?

what's with files that say f@#$ing share or F@#$ off?

if u wanna disconnect people who dont share, fine - good even - but whats with all the agro???

[aside: i just watched the south park movie for the first time... a lot of strong messages, eerily relevant]

Im afraid that stealing from the ritch just doesnt feel all that wrong. I do however pay for New Zealand music and other small time opperators.

While it is technically "stealing," I just think that technology has progressed too far for any legislation or uber-pay-service (e.g. apple's new service) to stop free file-sharing networks. The music co's (RIAA) could have done something amazing with mp3's back, even before napster.... but they were too late to the game. They dropped the ball. I have a strong feeling that within the next 5-10 years... the music industry will have no choice but to change it's business model. Revenue will have to come from somewhere other than retail sales. just my2c.

It's not stealing.

Intellectual property is an artificial and slippery concept, unlike physical property.

People can try selling their words and their thoughts for what the market will bear, but it's foolish to try to control the product beyond a certain point.

Hitherto it has been possible to control the product to an extent satisfactory to the producers, but technology has destroyed that to a large extent now. Technology destroys old business models and creates new ones.

The record companies are like the British miners - they're working in a field that isn't needed any more, although the record companies have certainly done better than the British miners did. File-sharing and 'piracy' will bring no dire consequences for anybody except those that cling to an ineffectual and dated business model. Markets come and go, and the value of products change; the market for pre-recorded CDs may be going, or at least, their value may be cut drastically.

The record companies are trying to take the moral high-ground by calling everybody thieves, but that's a very narrow view, and nobody has to accept it.