Interesting article here about a young climber who had some issues with his right arm.

Get the whole story here;

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...er_amputation_7

"On the fourth day, a day after his first attempt to cut his arm, Ralston went through the motions of applying a tourniquet, laid out bike shorts to absorb the blood and got his gear ready for a quick getaway. He worked out how to get through the bone with his "multi-tool"-type knife, made duller by futile attempts to chip away at the rock.

"Basically, I got my surgical table ready," he said.

On the fifth day, he summoned up all his technique and nerve:

"I was able to first snap the radius and then within another few minutes snap the ulna at the wrist and from there, I had the knife out and applied the tourniquet and went to task. It was a process that took about an hour," he said."

I think rather than cutting the thing off, I'd rather try and pull it out, however much got left behind. I wonder what the mechanics of that would be... confused.gif

There seems to be alot of people cutting things off themselves these days.

I noticed there was a guy in South Africa who walked into supermarket, went straight to the meat section started up the band saw and cut his own head off. This too was on Yahoo.

Yeah this story was huge news in the States on Tuesday. Seems his biggest mistake was going on a solo canyoning mission without leaving a intention list with anyone. No one knew where he was.

as for yanking the arm Ocean it was trapped under a 400+ kg boulder that wasnt going to budge, I would guess his shoulder or elbow would dislocate first and then he would be in an even bigger world of.....poo than what he was already in

I was thinking the same thing, Fattwins. My guess was that since part of his arm was already being crushed and under great pressure for a long long time, maybe it was quite numb by the time he did IT. Still, even if that is true, it doesn't take anything away from his remarkable feat to keep himself alive.