I went to my osteopath the over day for a general check up and because my right ankle and lower spine have been giving me a lot of grief in the last couple of months.

He told me that my feet are the main problem, seems i have very high arches. He has given me the number of a podiatrist who is a snowboarder and he thinks he will get me some orthotic inserts for my shoes and snowboard boots.

So my question is has anyone had any trouble snowboarding after getting orthotic inserts? I can't really see myself having a problem but just wanted to get some feedback about it.

Cheers

\:D

had a similar problem in my Triathlon days, but with flat feet! Never actually thought about getting some orthitics (orthodics??) made up, but haven't had the prob for a long time!

It would be definately worth it though.if its gonna help

Well i have bad knees as is, i'm constantly having probs with them. My ankle and lower spine have been sore since i got back from Japan, its just been getting worse of late.

But i'll be right! It's not going to stop me from boarding!

\:D

Hey _freak, I board with an orthotic insert in my right boot...it works fine.

I don't notice any difference from the other foot in terms of fatigue, blood flow when the laces are really tight, cold/hot, impact absorption, slippage or heel lift, etc.

I'd say the only thing to be careful about is discomfort possibly caused by full orthotics that cramp or distort your foot position inside the boot.

A thicker orthotic might raise your entire foot or ankle up so that your ankle is uncomfortably positioned right in the middle of the part of the liner that is supposed to be above your ankle to hold it in place.. You should also beware of orthotics that increase foot slippage or heel lift inside your boot. It's going to be hit-or-miss with most boots, so you're better off taking your orthotics to the boot shop if you are buying new boots.

If you have no plans to buy new boots, you could attempt to lessen undesirable side-effects by removing any thinnish comfort or odor-absorption liner, or heat-moldable liner, that came with your boots. This would give your orthotics a bit more room to exist comfortably in the boot without raising up your foot position too much.

My right leg is about 1/4 inch shorter than the left and this caused knee and hip problems when I was in high school track & cross-country. Now I have a collection of 1/4" inserts that go into my right-side shoes and boots all the time.

I'm a big fan of podiatriac attempts to resolve leg and back problems. Definitely worth a try in my experience! Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Thanks for that BM. Good info.

I am thinking about getting some new boots, but i'm not sure if the finances are going to be cooperative! But as i said said previously the guy im going to see is a snowboarder so hopefully he'll be able to help sort something out.

Are your orthotics cork or are they the plastic ones? I've heard that the plastic ones can be quite uncomfortable because they dont give at all.

I once had cork ones when I was running a lot and they were great, kind of gentle on the feet. Also, they never smelled but my feet aren't stinky anyway. Not like Mogski's.

Now the inserts I use in my right shoe/boot are a variety of materials. I have a leather one, a rubbery sports one, and a cork one.

Plastic doesn't sound great but who knows? There are so many miracle plastics around, it may be better than anything else.

Let us know how it works out!

Hey _freak, I forgot to mention:

Weearing an orthotic didn't adversely affect my riding. In fact it helped it.

My problem was one leg slightly shorter than the other, so the orthotic actually slightly improved my balance and smoothness because it corrected my body position.

I think your orthotics won't change your overall body position, but they may shift the pressure points inside your boots a bit.

I think this won't bug you at all, in fact it might give you a better ride feeling.

Just don't worry if it feels a bit strange on the first run, kind of like the first runs of the season feel weird.

After a couple runs, you'll forget you even have the damn things in there.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey BM and others that are interested, i picked up my orthotics this morning. I can definately feel the difference, i think it will take a bit of getting used to as the pressure on my arch is pretty noticeable, but i'm sure i'll get used to it.

Just from wearing them for short time i seem to notice them more in my regular shoes than i do in my snowboard boots. I have new boots so i haven't riden with them yet. The only problem i can see is getting pain in the arch of my feet. The podiatrist also gave me some heel lifters so that if the pressure on my arch is too much i can glue the lifts to the bottom.

I'll get to test them out next week so when i get to computer after that i shall drop into this thread and let you know how it all goes.