I am disturbed to read about this guy, comes from Taiwan for a holiday, visits many places including USJ all while carrying and developing SARS. it the selfishness of a few who risk the health of many. SARS will continue to spread aslong as there jerks like him.

That was indeed disturbing to hear about. If it is proven that he did so knowingly, he should be incarcerated for a long time and fined heavily and the money from the fines sent to Japan to help pay for some of the costs of the trouble he has caused.

apparently he was fine while he was here but was unknowlingly infected and contaigous and developed a fever upon returning home

He had not had direct contact with SARS patience in his hospital but apparently there were SARS patients in the hospital. He should have erred on the side of caution and not come.

Should not some of the blame for this matter lie on the Japanese govet. and customs dept? Afterall they are the police of Japan's boarders.

Should not the occupation line reading doctor on the entry card of a Taiwanese person raise some suspicion?

I do not think it fair to blame this entirely on this person.

Afterall there are plenty of Japanese people toing a froing on business to Taiwan and other SARS areas.

This Taiwanese doctor just seems to me to be a scape goat to the public to hide the reality that SARS is becoming a problem in Japan.

Fair point Mogski, I think all those people tooing and froing should not be. To fully address the problem of SARS the world should pucker up and and take drastic measures. Ban all but urgent travel, stricter screening etc. Sure it will have economic ramifications and airlines tourism will lose money, but it beats dying and if SARS gets out of control the consequences while far greater than a few sanctions now. Too many selfish people Japanese included are helping the spread of this problem

And at the same time ban all sex except for procreation as to stop the AIDS epidemic, make everyone that goes to a country with unsanitary food preparation bring enough instant noodles so they dont get sick and anyone who has had a runny nose in the last 30 be denied entry to this country.

(it makes me laugh that they have the dirohhea question on the health questionaire. I mean who HASNT had the shits when you go to most of the countries in Asia?!)

mogski, my thoughts exactly on hearing this. It's just a case of scapegoating foreigners, business as usual.

People coming back to the Nagano area from their assignments in China are being asked to quarantine themselves at home for 10 days, voluntarily. That is, after they have travelled from Narita to Nagano on public transport, and that is, purely voluntarily and unsupervised. As far as I know, the Japanese government has nothing in particular to say about any of this.

Quote:
Originally posted by zwelgen:
(it makes me laugh that they have the dirohhea question on the health questionaire. I mean who HASNT had the shits when you go to most of the countries in Asia?!)
Oh the sweetness of Kiwi woman \:D So delicate in getting to the point.

Zwelgs, my dear, stay one more winter in Japan for me!

No doubt Ocean, there is always an element of the Japanese media all to ready to propagate the gaijin bashing, A teacher at my school went on Hoiday and stopped over in Hong Kong (against everyones advice), he called in sick his first day back and the company quarantined him at his home (without pay - suspended), which he shared with other teachers who continued to work and then told him to got to hospital where in sat for hours in a crowded waiting room. The doctor never even physically tested him, just asked him questions. crazy,

but imagine if he had been infected and come to work, the Media would have had a field day about the evil gaijin bringing SARS to Japan

Quote:
Originally posted by zwelgen:
I mean who HASNT had the shits when you go to most of the countries in Asia?!)
Not me. France always did that for me though.

Truly though, that is a lame questionnaire. As if anybody who was vaguely ill would surrender themselves at the airport.
 Quote:
Originally posted by kamoshika:
I think all those people tooing and froing should not be. To fully address the problem of SARS the world should pucker up and and take drastic measures. Ban all but urgent travel, stricter screening etc.
eek.gif geeze man, u gotta be kidding? Restrict world travel because a few 1000 people have died? Man o man, your utopia is a strict place to live.

As if the poor doctor doesn't feel bad enough that he has freakin SARS and is gonna get really sick, he's got people tearing him apart all over the world in forums like this, saying he should be incarcerated for long periods of time. I am sure he feels as guilty as hell knowing that those people that were infected's lives are on him. He didn't know he had SARS. So he is a doctor, so what? I'm sure if there was a reliable way to test for it he would have been tested and found positive and then he wouldn't have gone on his trip.

I think that this whole thing has been so blown out of proportion. SARS is not a death sentence. Look at the population of Hong Kong and the percentage of infections. It hasn't exactly wiped out the city. The media grabbed a hold of it and swept fear across the world.