hello,

i just joined the forum, and, i will be soon leaving golden bc and moving to japan to spend at least a year teaching esl. i have been asked to be placed in sapporo but of course do not know where i will be until the exact moment. so i have few question to ask the snow community. if of course you are all willing to help me out with my ponderings.

where are the best places to go?

now of course this question is highly subjective so let me quantify it,

where is the best snow, north island and south island?

what areas have the best terrian? (for expert big mountain/super chill pow pow trees)

what areas allow you to ski these areas? (i have heard that some areas are quite strict about in on piste policies)

what areas are most/least busy?

is there a backcountry community?

are there good opportunities for 'biglines'?

what is the snow pack generally like on the island, does is change dramatically throughout?

what is travel like to and from the areas?

what is the price like?

is there alternative and cheap options for lodging?

what is the price like?

is it generaly better to buy a seasons pass, or is it best to use day tickets?

do areas within the same vicinity generally adopt a reciprocal pass policy?

is there anything i missed that anyone thinks is important to share?

if anyone could help me out with info i would greatly appreciate it, and hey maybe we can meet up for turns next season.

thanx a lot

Well, if you do end up in Sapporo, go to Niseko. I'll let the experts answer that.

If you end up on Honshu, Hakkoda and Hachimantai Forest are the places you can get 'big lines' with no restrictions. That is in northern Honshu though. I'm not sure about down south. I'm not trying to sound presumptious, but Hakkoda is your best bet. If you are willing to hike and earn your turns, it's the best Japan has to offer (I feel the crap flying at me already). But, it's true.

Good luck man. Hope you end up in Sapporo. What a city! Great snow there too!

Lots of questions! Good luck. May have to wait until after GW and people get back to work before you get some decent responses!! ;\)

I'm off myself now - see you around.

Ive never been to Niseko but It aint that steep.

Hakkoda never been but if you dont hike it aint steep either from what I have heard. The Problem you have is in not knowing your location.

Ill answer some Qs though.

Best bigline area Hakuba and the Japanese Alps if your willing to do 30mins to 4 hour hike ups You can bag 4000 vertical foot lines. I have not seen any area in Japan that offers more in the bigline question. As Plucky said though Hakkoda has areas some what like this but it is a mountain that get shocked in alot ie big white.

Places to stay 40 cnd a night at hostel like places is the norm. Japanese place same but through in another 10 dollars per each meal that you want. There are cheaper places this is the norm though.

Tickets about 45 cdn per day with weekday discounts so about 35 cdn per day.

If you like a mountain buy a seasons pass. But again you dont know where you will be.

Backcountry is fine about anywhere is open.

Trees in inbounds areas wow big Question. By far Japan has the best Pow trees spaces are great Nozawa Onsen (not open but they have never busted anyone that I know of) has 1000 to 2000 verical 40 degree tree chutes.

Tsugaike kogen has the North Valley 1000 vertical tree chutes and cliffs. Hakuba 47 Goryu offers long trees Happone has its North Valley Steep biglines but avie danger sometimes. (All these areas are off limits but People do ride there) In basic terms nice lines inside of the ropes are a no go the patrol might take your ticket. This aplies to most of Japan. except a few areas like

Niseko

Hakkoda

Hachimantai forest

Nozawa Onsen (Patrol have to much area to cover)

Takasu Snow Park (pretty much open)

People add to this list.

Most areas are not too busy anymore but peak times are the same everywhere it will be busy 10 minute line ups are the norm on peaks. In general 5 mins max everyday.

In hakuba there is a BC commuity Plus members on this site like toque, myself or Powdagroova(i think) and more Are into hiking around Nagano or there abouts.

From Fukui to Hokkaido the snowpack is much like a coastal snowpack but tons of snow. Hakuba 400 to 500 inches a year norm Arai 600 plus. niseko 450 plus of the dry type. Gifu 300 plus. In general about 300 plus everywhere with some high areas getting enough snow to cover 2 stacked buses.

Traveling to and from resorts is the pricy part you must pay to use the highways. again when you know where you will end up then we can answer this question.

reciprocal passes not that I know of.

Welcome fellow Canadian When you know where you will end up then people here can help you better.

Daver - I just did a ski trip to Golden. KH rules.

Whenever I get back to Canada that is 1 of the places I want to teach.

Are you JET?

To bad you didn't request Honshu. I have some amazing powder stashes and next year nobody really close to ski them with.

Backcountry community is here. Just difficult to find them. But I have many trips planned and am all set up finally with gear. Now just have to find people to go with.

If you are coming on Jet and you requested anywhere in Hokkaido, you'll probably end up in Iwate (it seems that all of us here wanted Hokkaido... lol.gif ) but good luck!!! We plan to go live in Sapporo for a while some time in the future...

where are the best places to go? DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO AND WHERE YOU ARE...

now of course this question is highly subjective so let me quantify it,

where is the best snow, north island and south island? ONLY BEEN NORTH, BUT NORTHERN HONSHU AND HOKKAIDO ARE GREAT, BUT IT'S PROBABLY MORE ABOUT THE POWDER...

what areas have the best terrian? (for expert big mountain/super chill pow pow trees) I'VE HEARD DOWN SOUTH THE MOUNTAINS ARE BIGGER... BUT THERE ARE PLENTY OF PLACES AROUND... HAVE BEEN MENTIONED... BUT MAYBE ALSO ASAHIDAKE?

what areas allow you to ski these areas? (i have heard that some areas are quite strict about in on piste policies) MOST PLACES DON'T LET YOU SKI THE TREES OR OFF PISTE - YOU HAVE TO BE DISCRETE... AND AVOID THE PATROL. SOME PLACES ARE MORE RELAXED ABOUT SKIING OFF PISTE, EVEN IF THEY SAY YOU CAN'T SKI THERE. NISEKO, HAKKODA, HACHIMANTAI FOREST, SAHORO ALL LET YOU SKI OFF PISTE...

what areas are most/least busy? IT SEEMS THE RESORTS WITH BIG HOTELS, ETC ARE SUPER BUSY, BUT HAVING SAID THAT, THE PEOPLE STAYING IN THE EXPENSIVE HOTELS AREN'T AFTER THE POWDER OR THE BACKCOUNTRY...

is there a backcountry community? YES, DEFINATELY, SMALLISH WHERE WE ARE, BUT GREAT PEOPLE WHEN YOU MEET THEM...

are there good opportunities for 'biglines'? DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU ARE, FOR US IN IWATE, IT'S ABOUT THE DAILY POWDER IN THE TREES...

what is the snow pack generally like on the island, does is change dramatically throughout? REGULAR FRESH DUMPINGS OF SNOW (POWDER PRETTY MUCH EVERY WEEKEND - IF NOT DAILY - DURING WINTER TO BUILD A 4ISH METRE BASE, GETS WARM QUICKLY IN SPRING AND IT ALL STARTS TO MELT PRETTY FAST. IN SOME AREAS, THEY GET SO MUCH SNOW, YOU CAN'T GET TO IT TILL SPRING WHEN THEY OPEN THE ACCESS ROADS...

what is travel like to and from the areas? DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU ARE, BUT TRAVEL IN JAPAN CAN BE PRETTY PRICEY. IF YOU HAVE A CAR IT'S HANDY, BUT EXPRESSWAY TOLLS CAN BE A KILLER, BUT SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO TAKE THEM COS OTHERWISE IT WOULD BE A LOOONNNG RIDE... IF YOU ARE FAR AWAY, SHINKANSEN (BULLET TRAIN), LOCAL TRAINS, BUSES OR FLYING... IF YOU END UP IN THE BIG CITY, THERE ARE EXCELLENT PACKAGE DEALS AVAILABLE I HEAR... IF YOU ARE IN THE WOPS LIKE ME, THEN NO SUCH LUCK!

I THINK IN SOME PLACES, YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR PARKING...

what is the price like? I THINK THE PRICE IS REASONABLE - COMING FROM NEW ZEALAND, THE PRICE IS ABOUT THE SAME IF YOU DID A STRAIGHT CONVERSION, BUT WHEN YOU CONSIDER HOW MUCH STUFF COSTS HERE AND BACK HOME, THEN IT COSTS TWICE AS MUCH TO SKI BACK HOME. IT'S AROUND 4000YEN FOR A DAY PASS, BUT CAN RANGE FROM 2000YEN AT A LITTLE LOCAL HILL TO ABOUT 5000YEN DOWN SOUTH - I'M NOT SURE ABOUT SOUTH, I JUST HEARD IT'S MORE EXPENSIVE... PLUS THE PARKING THING...

is there alternative and cheap options for lodging? YEP!!! FOR SURE!!! SHOP AROUND, ASK YOUR JAPANESE FRIENDS COS THEY KNOW THE CHEAP PLACES... AT MANY PLACES, YOU CAN DO THE CHEAP "JUST PAY FOR THE TATAMI ROOM, I WILL COOK AND FEND FOR MYSELF" THING FOR AROUND 3000YEN...

what is the price like?

is it generaly better to buy a seasons pass, or is it best to use day tickets? IT IS DEFINATELY BETTER TO BUY A SEASON PASS, AND THERE ARE EARLY SPECIALS, SO KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THEM, OR ASK. AROUND SEPTEMBER YOU CAN START THINKING ABOUT FINDING OUT ABOUT SEASON TICKET PRICES AND EARLY BIRD SPECIALS...

do areas within the same vicinity generally adopt a reciprocal pass policy? SOME DO. I KNOW ALL THE NISEKO AREAS DO SINCE THEY ARE ON THE SAME MOUNTAIN AND ITS REALLY HARD TO TELL WHERE ONE STARTS AND THE OTHER ENDS... ALSO, IF THE SKI AREAS ARE OWNED BY THE SAME COMPANY, YOU'RE PASS MAY BE VALID FOR THEIR OTHER AREAS - IF NOT, THEN YOU AT LEAST GET SOME SORT OF DEAL, LIKE DISCOUNTS OR FREE PASSES IF YOU STAY AT THEIR HOTELS... JUST CHECK IT ALL OUT WHEN YOU DECIDE ON WHAT PASS TO GET. WHERE WE ARE, OUR PASS IS VALID FOR TWO HILLS, THE HOTEL DEAL WITH SEVERAL RESORTS IN HOKKAIDO, HALF PRICE AT ALL AKITA RESORTS AND DISCOUNTS AND SOME OTHERS...

is there anything i missed that anyone thinks is important to share? THERE'S JUST TOO MUCH INFORMATION... YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO ASK, AND SOMEONE ON THE FORUM WILL PROBABLY BE ABLE TO ANSWER IT.

SORRY, MY ANSWERS ARE PRETTY CRAP, BUT THERE ARE SO MANY SKI AREAS HERE AND EVERY AREA IS DIFFERENT... LIKE THEY TELL YOU ON THE JET PROGRAMME, "EVERY SITUATION IS DIFFERENT" lol.gif

BY THE WAY (I GOTTA STOP EDITING THIS POST!) IF YOU WANT TO SEE SOME OF THE SKIING... CHECK OUT THE VIDEO GALLERY...

Yeah but the nesiko pass is like 2000 cdn buck ouch.

Some companies offer 2 or 3 mountain passes ie wahigatake takasu or geto appi.

Also one good place if in gumma tenjindaira.

North is good too as shimba said.

If you are any further south than gifu youll be like me and have to drive to the goods.

Fattwins - I am also exited about next year however the lack of people really close to me has me worried. I really hope some of the new JETS are good skier/boarders.

But right now I am still watching the weather for the next few weekends to get out and get some last minute turns before the snow fully vanishes. Going to get Norikura next weekend when the bus line opens up and then Fuji in the next few weekends.

As for next year I will be up for hitting some powder with the SJ crew more often than I did this year and really want to get out into the backcoutry in the winter instead of just hitting it in the spring like I usually do.

Ah, Toquie, you miss me already, eh? I'm pretty bummed about having to leave, especially since I only really met 2 bona-fide SJers in real life (besides toque). (Fattie, OUFreeski -- we'll catch up sometime, somewhere, I suppose). Anyway, I'll be happy to know when they're some real skiing JETs on their way here. 3 out of almost 200 just doesn't cut it - I guess that's more pow-pow for you, toque. lol.gif