Yah I know. I have already met a couple Jets online that will be fresh off the boat like myself that are also going to be in Takayama. Only problem is they probably don't ski/board. I hope they drink because I plan on doing a fair bit. I will have to hook up with numerous snowjapan people to get through the winter. Skiing alone sucks pooh.

Do the vending machine beers come cold?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your choices in cheese may well be limited down there, my friend. So when you first go, be sure to pack in all your favorites to stock up your cheese-only fridge. Then you might have to go to a city or go online to buy further cheeses for that delicious and nutritious cheese fix!

Beer vending machines don't exist?!? confused.gif

There's one down my road. You do need a driving licence to get at the beer though.... ;\)

I don't know about other places but where I live there are beer vending machines - but you need to put in your driving licence as age proof.

That won't work if you have an international licence - you'll need the Japanese driving licence to get to the beer!

If the jets in your town dont ski then strongly encourage them too. I am proud to say that Ive lead a few people to the holy grail of winter sports, even if they did all board :p

Also Japanese people in your town should be into it. Just let everyone know that youlove2ski and youll find some people to share the petrol costs with.

Takayama is a spa town, there are lots of Japanese tourists from all over that go to Takayama to get away from the cities (usually Nagoya). I have never been, but it is definately a hotspot, and yeah, it has the old culture, which will make your tenure here enjoyable. If Takasu/Dynaland is really only an hour away, you would be a fool not to buy a car, and go there as often as possible - Fattwins will show you the backcountry cornice, which is kicker heaven.

Buy a car, shaken it if it isn`t already shakened , but you will need someone who speaks japanese and has patience and time to help you out, it is quite an obnoxious process(find parking, get approval from the police station, register with 2 seperate city offices, get insurance, pay for the car, get it shakened, drive - I am not sure of the correct order), but you have plenty of time before the season starts.

And as Fattwins said, Bring deoderant. Best way to bring your gear here is to ship it by sea.

Barok dude

We went right through Takayama to get to Takasu. The main road running east-west does a shimmy in the middle of the town, so we got a bit lost coming back.

I went to the smaller Autumn festival with my family last year. It were grand. On a previous visit, I stayed at the youf hostel there, which is in a temple.

Their local dish is houba miso (meat etc. fried with miso on a big leaf), but its nothing special in my book.

From there you can also go over to Norikura where a gaijin crew has an outdoor/b.c thing going. Japanese hiking mags rate the Yarigatake/Hodaka/Kamikochi area as the best hiking region in Japan.

I guess the concession is to get a car. Hopefully I can afford it. My predessor who is also named Matt is staying for another year in Takayama but in a new job with JET. He is from Colorado and skis a lot I guess. I will have to ask if he has a car.

If Nofakie is talking about Norikura onsen kogen then it is a right on back country place. The trails suck though. I think they make a good park around jan. If you hike off the the bubble quad 2mins you can drop down some steep lines in the trees on either side. But be carefull on the skiers right side I once saw a slide to ground in the trees. start zone was at the top and it went all the way to the bottom. Seasons passes are very cheap there maybe about 250 canadian.

The hiking is good from what I hear too. A 2 to 4 hour hike puts you in the alpine. I think that there is a rest hut up in the alpine. I have never gone. to be honest its a 5 hour drive from my house as iis hakuba so I always choose hakuba. cortina's llift serviced steeps are my fav.

about the car- there will be a lot of jets leaving and wanting to get rid of their cars, so ask your predecessor to be on the lookout for you. if you do buy from someone who is leaving, make sure they (or your supervisor) start the paperwork. if they leave the country with the car still in their name, you will be screwed bc you wont be able to sell it. you can just let a dealership take care of it, but it costs more.

I found out my rent today is going to be 5000 yen

I am so happy. I also get some old video game. Hope they are Nintendo cause then I will bring my games from home to keep myself busy.

Also I did the grad thing today. Feels great to be finished that. BA in Geography.

Ocean what about f the word fag???

N.american game systems and Japanese game systems dont work you need the mod chip. Go to book off and buy the games there used. 5000 yen are you sure thats not 50000 yen thats like 165 yen a day or something thats cheap.