Has anyone attended any full-on Japanese schools in Japan? Was it something you just found or did you arrange it before you went to Japan. Are there any that anyone can recommend or recommend against? Any visa trouble? How about cost?

Many Japanese students come to the ESL program at the local Community College in my town. I have often wondered if there was a similar program for JSL. A little (very little) preliminary research seems to turn up only private schools. Are these Nova for gaijin (ahhh!)? I read some are just basically fronts to allow you to get a part time work visa. How about studying at a University?

Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

I did a course at the YMCA, part time, but they go sooo fast and its intense. I struggled to keep up and work full time aswell. It was pricey too - 96000yen for 3 months ( Mon, Wed,Fri) 9:30-12:00.

There a lots of places in Osaka offering a variety of courses. Of details? I dont know too much about the others sorry.

Did anyone that went to these schools go to Japan specifically to study?

Has anyone attempted to receive sponsorship/scholarship from some organization in their home country to study in another country?

YWCA in Nagoya is definately worth the cash.

I paid about 65-70,000 for a 3 month course.

2 times a week 3 hours each time.

Lots of homework if you want to do well and they are pretty strict. Its the kind of school that I needed because i am not so motivated to study but knowing that sensei will quiz us about homework & last lesson etc it got my ass into gear!

and if you do the math.. 12 weeks x 2 times a week x 3hrs a time works out to about Y970 per hour.

Now if I was to pay the ridiculous rates that I get per hour...

Its good value

but you have to stay away from those voulenteer group lessons..

I spent a couple hours pouring over the Yamasa website. That sounds like a great school. But I don't want to live in Okazaki!

Montoya - were you already living in Japan when you took the classes at Naganuma? Which program did you do? For how long? Can you explain more? Thanks.