What do you reckon? There just seems to be so much utter crap out recently, look at the charts etc? Is it crap or am I just gettin' old in my old age \:D

Music any good over there in Japane is it? I don't think I've ever heard any Japanese pop/rock. cool.gif

Music magazines, websites (allmusic.com, discogs.com, amazon.com, etc.), friends, and every once and a while i'll head over to HMV or Tower and see what they have at their listening stations. The staff at the stores in shibuya are pretty good at putting out good stuff...

I'm no fan of J-Pop, to me it's very bland, and manufactured, (and that's not only confined to Japan!) however there are sometimes some reasonably decent artists out here in the medium mainstream, though I must admit I don't follow it, so I couldn't name any names as no-one's ever struck me enough to want to go out and buy their records. Except maybe the post punk Japanese hammond organ player / KB player / singer who lives in the same building as me. Think post punk Frank Zappa. But then you'll probably never hear his music on the radio anyway....

What's good here is going to be subject depending on your own tastes and preferred genres...

Damn right there Sunrise, thats what makes music fun, taste. Even if some peoples is rather bothering!

As for HOW I find out about new stuff, well a lot of the time its chance, friends and taking risks on stuff. I very rarely (if ever) go to listening booths, don't read a lot of mags and avoid the charts like the plague.

Tokyo Ska Band (??) at summersonic on Sunday, that should be interesting, though I've no idea what to expect ('cept Ska music obviously)

Also gonna buy a minidisc player tomorrow, Tsutaya here I come.....nudge nudge! ;\)

I enjoy music, but not like most fanatics. I generally like the sound but never ever bother to know any details (even rather macro details like album names). My problem is that I know what I like and then never seem to move on. Unless something else unexpectedly crosses my path, I will keep on listening to the same old stuff.

For example, I really like very common and no doubt worn out stuff like Moby, St Germaine, Air and Chicane, plus DJ's like Sasha and BT. I am sure there is newer stuff around that I would like, but I never hear about it, so music tends to be a casual accident for me rather than a developing involvement.

i go to www.cmj.com for all my music needs.

im so glad to be back in a country where you can go to a show for 12 bucks - that way if you are disapointed it really doesnt matter. i saw sam roberts last night. and he blew the roof off. hes a relatively new artist who i reckon is going to be pretty big.

I was chatting to a mate of mine yesterday, Canadian who told me CD's in Canada are C$ 12 which equates to 6 pounds, CD's in the UK are over double that 13 - 15 pounds, or C$30!!!

I am NOT happy mad.gif

However I've taken it upon myself to purchase a MD.... and well you know.... ;\)

How much in US or AUS etc????

in canada cds are marked from anywhere from 10-18 dollars...they tax things like crazy. so a 12 dollar cd is really closer to 14 dollars...and a 18 dollar cd is closer to 21 dollars.

i guess its still alot cheaper than paying 12 pounds. but im still getting used to stuff being taxed, especially bigger items like computers.

when i was living in australia about 6 years ago, cds were close to 30 dollars, but ive since been told that times and prices have changed and they are now around $20-25

Seems in the UK more CD sales than ever according to the news today (not having much internet access right now so cant search on it). Seems dubious to me...

Like the new Stereophonics album.