Have you ever been told by someone that "you just can't understand" because you're a gaijin? Like as if it is beyond explanation?

It really annoys me when I get told that, invariable relations cooling and the conversation stopping when I hear it.

I was even told that I can't understand chopsticks once. (Not sure what there is to "understand" about chopsticks.....)

Any absurd examples from your experience?

Well if we turn it around it seems there are a few things that some japanese just cant understand.

1 - flashing lights and sirens on ambulances and poliece cars and when to use them, and when not to use them.

2 - hard hats, old ladys dont need them for doing the gardening.

seconds on point number one.

i rode in an ambulance last week, and when the first words a patient manages to utter are "thats not necessary" it probably means it isnt.

after farting around for about 5 minuted before departure from the scene - calling the hospital to arrange for arrival in a stationary ambulance - they put on the lights and sirens and proceed to run red lights to get there.

no idea :rolleyes:

I'm sure Japanese tourists look at the size of people walking around here with their bellies showing a la Spears - but looking more like the Michelin Man. Disgusting. If they asked what the F thats all about, I'd have to tell them that they just wouldn't be able to understand. For the life of me I can't either. You'd think they'd want to cover emselves up not show off the blubber.

Todays rant over.

• 2 weeks later...

Some Japanese colleagues told me that I just can't possibly understand the omiyage system. This was when I first came to Japan, and before anyone had even tried to explain it all to me. Complex as it all is ;\)

• 3 weeks later...