Cockroaches and other monsters

Yeah, I killed two of the big buggers yesterday in my house. Whacking them generally means you have to spend some time retrieving detached legs which is pretty revolting.

I suppose big roaches are one of the joys of city life...

I squished one as it treid to walk in my front door with me when I got home the other night. First time I have seen one hanging around my building. (The only enjoybale thing about a concrete apartment I guess.)

My girlfriends house is full of all kinds of fiends. Roaches being the lest of the concerns. Them Mukade dudes - huge millipide one touch and you could die bugs - appear to have made a home somewhere near her house and often invade at night. Their invasion has forced her family to shift sleeping quarters to the top floor. Seems Mukade can't be bothered to climb stairs. Anyone else get Mukade?

Cockroaches are very rare indeed in Hakuba.

Depending on the surface, a relatively clean way to kill em is to use hot (off the boil) water. It stops them dead in a couple of seconds.

Just before we moved house, we started getting mukade in our old house - upstairs and downstairs. They are one of the most repulsive looking living creatures to my eyes. What is that thing sticking out of their arse? A leg? A feeler? A stinger?

The horror!

Those aren't the insects I know and loathe. The ones I generally see are speckled, have much longer, thinner legs, and have something that sticks right out of the middle of their arse.

tt1.jpg

Quick research indicates that what gives me the screaming abdabs is in fact the 'geji'.

Yuck.

i had a mukade on my leg was in bed. I though my wife was getting fresh when i looked down i flew out of bed.

mogski the girlfriend needs to bug bomb the house you can buy the stuff at the local konan or home center. you cant be in the house when you do it.

I'v seen a few geji in the sink and sent them down the plug with some good hot water but what we have the most of is frogs. When the new hot water heater got installed in the bathroom they must have left some gaps in the wall cos the frogs can always get in there. Im forever putting them (or him maby its the same one) out the window.

Havent seen many spiders this year - maby the crap rainy weather stunted their growth.

Heres one I photographed last year.

spid.jpg

while im at it found this in my bathroom last year - not scary like the things with the legs but bigger than the bugs at home.

Our_house_017.JPG

Gecko trumps insects.

gecko.jpg

When I got home last night, I found this little tinker getting about on my computer rack. I've found a similar sized gecko around our front gate and in the garage, but this is the first time I've found one in the house. He's most welcome.

Anyone noticed how mammoth the bugs are here in Japan? Apache attack helicopter size dragonflys, jumbo jet proportioned butterflys, and sherman tank sized grass hoppers.

Bugs size in this country contradicts the generalisation of the association of Japan and small!

Ocean, be sure to feed you new friend. Keep him around to help with the flies and the spiders!

I did see some big ass spiders in shikoku last year. A little yellowish in color and a body as big as a 500 coin.

This year the damm ladybugs are eatting up my garden, i though they were supposed to be good for the garden.

snake trumps geko (but not by much cos they are small snakes) Our_house_018.JPG

Im still after a better snake photo - I found this one on my driveway but he almost escaped into the grass before I could photograph him.

If enyone has been to the West of Scotland the Midge beats them all.You could call them the Piranha of the skies. They are so small you cannot see them ,but land on you in the millions

and chew.Driving everyone MAD mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

I had a bad experience with midges once - they nearly ate me whole. Must be tasty.

In Japan though never had any problems with little insect type dudes. As long as they just stay out of my house and off me, they're ok with me.