Well Fukui would put you in easy reach of the expressway along Japan sea for getting to the further resorts. But makes getting into Gifu difficult for day trips. Not sure about this but I do know Hakusan is a big barrier.

Gifu is good for day trips although is surrounded by big mountains in the north which are not prentrated by expressways or nice wide roads.

I would choose Gifu just because there are lots of hidden resorts that rule in so many ways but that's just my humble opinion.

I am however not a big fan of Gifu City. But you are within reach of many hills as I said above which rule.

Ive you like kayaking gifu has one of the best play rivers in all of Japan the Nagara river.

What Toque says is true lots of hidden gems in gifu. If you want a bit of pow and a park come south if you want pow then a little bit north is better. Takasu Snow park has great BC for the up and coming freerider some big rocks to drop off if the conditions are right.

Fukui is close to some great little resorts that get a lot of heavy snow. If you can ski for a few hours each weekday morning, Fukui is a good place to be. If your skiing will be limited to the weekends, i'd chose Gifu, as the Fukui resorts get very crowded then, (as do Gifu resorts, but Nagano is closer).

If you're into real backcountry stuff, overnighters, etc. Fukui puts you on the right side for Hakusan, Tateyama, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...