4:30 distraction: Fist Magnets

and although all the facts were not given in the above case, no mention was made of the great and ubiquitous fist-maker, alcohol.

remove alcohol from many situations, and the opportunity for the use of humility, charm and intelligence increases muliti-fold.

I used to know a guy and he and his mates actually ENJOYED fighting. A bunch of "rugger buggers" as the last fella just said but they really did like going out and having a good rumble. They would pick up on every accidental elbow on the dance floor, every knock at the bar and get feisty with the offenders, baiting them to fight. I dont think size was a real issue but I dont think theyd bait someone who looked like a gang member as their strength was also in their numbers.

They were actually a decent bunch of guys and if we were just chilling at someones place it was fine but after a few times I didnt hit the town with them anymore. Like Rach said stupid male attitudes are such a turn off.

And in the big guy thing, I do kind of agree with it. I used to go out with this HUGE Maori fella and he often got hassled. But he really was a big pussycat and admited to me that he had actually never been in a fight because

a. most people wouldnt have taken him on and

b. he just fobbed off the baiting and took the low road.

Much better. Lets all be like Mike the Maori and make the world a better place clap.gif

I only ever got into trouble once, and the situation had nothing to do with me. We were in a pub and a brawl started nearby. We were trying to get out of the place but I got a fist in my face, then someone else came in with a foot. I did the best to defend myself but the over-riding thought was to get out of the place. Which I did. Some bruises and bad feeling, but better than the bloke I know who got his arm broken out of the deal.

Idiots.

I dunno if my long post in the other thread was clear or not, but I wanna make it clear that I never go looking for trouble.

I am a smaller guy, but I don't feel that I have something to prove to bigger guys. Only to myself, so I work hard, study hard, play hard.

When I go out, I am always in a good mood looking to just hang out with my friends and have fun. In the examples in the killer instinct thread (halloween, and the knife wielders), it was always drunk assh^les looking to bother me, cuz I was there and a good target (by myself, small but not too small).

I am way chill, but if someone is acting obnoxiously towards me, I will let them know.

The thing is, telling people off who are acting obnoxious usually gets said people to stop acting obnoxious. Mentioning to someone that you will fight them if they don't knock it off usually works if telling them off doesn't work (I once stopped some musclehead twice my weight from date-raping this girl whose house we were partying at, by telling him I'd fight him. He seemed to think about it for awhile, then backed right off). But sometimes you have to follow through. The thing is 99% of the time, guys don't really want to fight, even if they say they do. Even in the case of the guy that grabbed me last weekend, I think he just wanted some pushing and shoving, and not a real violent confrontation. I say this, because grabbing someone is not a good first move - punching someone in the face is much better.

Anyways all of that is beside the point. What makes someone a fist magnet ? Nagoid, your answer is poor - we are talking not about someone who starts fights, but someone who often gets undeserved flack.

When I look back on my own experiences, and when I listen to stories, it seems that the following is a common occurance: a group of 3 or 4 guys goes out and either with planning, or with implied knowledge, starts pushing, shoving, or baiting guys who are out by themselves, who the pack crosses paths with. The guy either takes the jab (4 times out of 5) or pushes back.

As I almost always go out by myself, this kinda thing happens to me alot. So yeah, if you want to be a fist magnet, go out to the bars by yourself all of the time, and look to cross paths with groups of 3 or 4 drunken guys with no girls on their arms. Being a little on the small side doesn't hurt either.

I can see no reason to keep taking abuse from people when I am just trying to have fun. And furthermore, I have made the biggest personal strides when sticking up for myself, so I push back.

What's funny is that even when you have this kind of situation and the expected fight begins, 3 times out of 4, the guy playing the "buddy to all"

role breaks up the fight.

It is really all so much posturing.

there are some smaller guys that ruin it for the majory....you know they feel like they have to prove something.

i'm abit like you barok in that when i go out all i wanna do is have a good time and i'm always in a good mood....

as i mentioned in the gbh post...i used to get alot of undeserving flack from other chicks....

so, i think if you're in a great mood & having a good time ...and maybe getting a bit of attention from the opposite sex... you can be a target for those who are not.

and...the whole calling their bluff tactic works a treat \:D

I must say that on the occasions that I've been attacked, while being furiously angry that other people think they can behave like that, I have rather enjoyed handing out far more damage than I received. Even in the case of the rugby gang, they came off with worse injuries. (People who are used to fighting with their fists don't cope well with getting kicked in the head and glassed...)

What I have learnt from studing martial arts is to never judge a persons ability to fight by how they look. More so here in Japan. Go into any martial arts dojo and you will find guys that if you saw on the street wearing their big thick glasses and their bucky teeth you would think "no challenge". Wrong as they turn out to be 4th dan or something! so hardcore whoop ass from a guy who looks like a library geek eek.gif