I work in a pretty huge and new office tower, yet I am unable to buy anything decent or varied for breakfast. There simply isn't anything to buy besides 7/11 crap or starbuck style cafe crap. Neither offers real food. Certainly both offer mega high sugar content kids food. Do all people in this country eat their breakfast before leaving home? Seriously, for the last 18 months I have had an appalling breaky for 5 of 7 days per week. I used to make my own very good 10 grain muesli, but that cost me 7000yen for a 2 week supply plus i could no longer handle my milk smelling like a stale mashed egg sandwich, which is how I find almost all Japanese milk from the local 7/11 type shop. There is an sambo shop from ldn that is 10 minutes walk there and back plus a 10 minute wait at the counter. They make ok stuff, but charge 1000yen for a good sambo and OJ. This is ok, but lunch costs 1500-2000 yen each day so over the week the combined cost is adding up.

Ok, I admit, this is complain and grumble number 42,672 in 18 months, but HOLY CRAP, I cant wait to live in Europe where I can very easily buy an amazing and varied breakfast of cheese, ham, fruit, multiple grains, dried figs and prunes, yoghurt, juice. Or less healthy fried stuff like eggs, sausages, mushrooms, bacon, fried tomato etc. Or even better, a Bavarian breakfast of white sausage, honey seeded mustard, a huge soft pretzel and a 500ml long glass of weisse beer. Oh, please, give me Bavaria over rice and miso any day. oh god, please...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

db: There is an Anna Miller's restaurant quite close to your big, fancy building. I think you can get the unhealthy variety of breakfast there and they are open 24 hours (meaning you can get up a little earlier and hit that before work).

Another alternative for unhealthy is the hotel behind your big, fancy building; they serve both continental and full-on breakfast at the first floor cafe with a relaxing view of a goldfish pond. That place opens at 6am, but is rather expensive at about 1,500 yen.

Or you can make your own breakfast at home.

Or you can just bitch about it. :p

I, like you db, had the same complaint and decided to just give up on brekkie.

Where I work there is three convenience stores litterally on top of each other on different floors and not a songle one offers anything remotely resembling fresh produce fit for brekkie. As well, we have Starbucks, Excelsior(Starbucks rip off), Tullys again all pretty much on top of each other. Same problem again.

How can there be so many oppurtunites and so little choice!?

Dont get antsy about me calling my building big or new. It certainly isn't fancy. If it were fancy it would have some half decent food places on the ground floors, but it dont.

Anna Millers - sorry to say, but they serve processed high sugar 'American' food that is no good for breakfast.

Hotel - have tried it a few times. Not bad, but I am an eat at my desk kind anyway. Fresh takeaway fruit salad + meusli + natural cultured no sweetener at all yoghurt with honey and pine nuts on top.

Goemon, it is very kind of you to supply potential solutions but i would ask you to please not interfere with my complaining material. Just let me be unhappy. :p

I like your breakfast choice except for the pine nuts. Pine nuts belong on pesto pasta, not on cubes of watermelon.

Make your fruity breakfast at home and bring it with you to work; then you can complain outloud from your desk, "Oh, criminy! The muesli's gone all soggy! And one of the pine nuts just landed on me shoes! Bother!" " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

it only takes a couple of minutes to make some toast with jam. or you can buy some apples at the grocery store and eat at home or take them with you. v easy and healthy brekkies. And aren't there a few hidden bagel shops in tokyo? or at least in roppongi?

.db., yes Yes YES on that Bavarian brekkie!

I particularly like the 500ml of beer in a proper glass.

Beer.

What a great way to start the day!

I should think the best breakfast I ever had--after any breakfast made by my dear mother of course--would be the incredibly fresh maguro and ice-cold lager breakfast I had at Tsukiji one time when my high school buddy came to see me in Tokyo.

A truly moving meal...I still salivate when I think of it.

On that day, I was as close to the Platonic ideal of breakfast as ever a living man was.

And now back to the shadows in my cave. Tonight they look like Nacho Cheese Dorito shadows and a full-bodied IPA from a brewery in western Michigan.

\:D

That Bavarian breakie really is magic. If you ever go to Munich,which I most strongly commend to each and evryone of you, then I suggest that you start the day with this fine meal and two of the beverages. There are a number of places near the big square in town that serve this excellent fodder. Note that it is hard to get after 10am as most white sausage should be eaten fresh on the morning that it is made.

I then recommend that you start the afternoon in on one of the beer gardens in the rather large 'English' park in the city. There is a great bar near the big duck pond.

BM - one could travel the world sussing out and sampling (then writing about) all the countries in the world that have a specific beer related breakfast. If a country does not have sucha breakfast, then you could just make it up.

cornflakes and milk (with a sprinkling of sugar) really is easy to get ready and wolf down in the mornings.

us country folk up north don't have the conveniences of shops that are open early in the morning. the local supermarket doesn't open till 10am. but, lunch costs much less (350) and tastes oh so good \:D

yes, but pedro, shimba:

that stuff isn't even food, let alone breakfast.

Just because it tastes sweet and can be chewed does not make it food.

What is does is:

- makes you fat,

- makes your skin look lifeless at best,

- gives you pimples at worst,

- gives you no energy,

- makes your eyes look lifeless,

- makes your hair dull and drab,

- makes you smell more when you sweat,

- rots your teeth,

- makes you un-sexy (people shoving junk into their faces are un-sexy),

It just isn't food.

Come to think of it, there is a lot to be said for the miso and rice breakie.

.d.b. I have to say that one of the joys of not working at a company any more is not smelling the breath of people who eat whatever Japanese people have for breakfast. (Haha, I cleft your meat with a period).

Even the cute OLs were best spoken to across the divider. Cor blimey! \:\(

i don't know what you think cornflakes are, but they pretty much have no fat or sugar. maybe us new zealanders are the only people left who don't have a huge range of sugary crappy cereals to choose from (we have some, but the nations favourite cereal - weetbix has got to be the healthiest thing around)... that's why you gotta sprinkle a little sugar on, cos they don't taste all that great \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by Shimba:
i don't know what you think cornflakes are, but they pretty much have no fat or sugar.
...and nor does the cardboard box it comes in. That is not the only nutritional fact that they have in common.

Weetbix? healthy? One grain: wheat. One grain does not make a healthy meal. It only serves a fraction of the benefits offered by the grains family. And even then it is well over consumed by most humans at the expense of other more beneficial grains. We eat wheat in just about everything and would benefit a deal by eating far less.

Weet-Bix®

Kiwi Kids are Weet-Bix kids, and the fact that Weet-Bix are NZ’s number one proves it! Weet-Bix are packed with carbohydrates, iron and B vitamins, they’re low in sugar and they’re 98.5% fat free. Weet-Bix are as natural as you can get, with 200 grains of whole wheat goodness in every biscuit.

Skippy®

Skippy cornflakes are made in New Zealand with New Zealand corn from the rich fertile river plains of the Gisborne region. These great tasting cornflakes are 99% fat free, high in carbohydrates, rich in folate, and contain essential B vitamins and iron.

i couldn't find the actual nutritional info, :rolleyes: i couldn't be bothered searching anymore.

Quote:
And even then it is well over consumed by most humans at the expense of other more beneficial grains. We eat wheat in just about everything and would benefit a deal by eating far less.
so what you're actually saying is that most people don't eat a balanced diet and therefore should consider the amount of wheat (and everything else in their diet) they are eating...

...to add to that, anything is unhealthy if consumed in too higher quantities, and the fact remains than cereals are healthy... but like everything else, if you're gonna eat bucket loads of one thing, OF COURSE its gonna be bad.

Yes, I always follow the marketing on the side of the box.

Cant miss this chance:

the actual tune goes like this: "aussie kids.... are weetbix kids..."

It sound friggen stupid saying "kiwi kids....".

Secondly, nice to see you name your NZ made cereal after a stupid Australian animal tv character. ha ha. lol.gif