1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Had I been on the jury I too would have been woefully ignorant of the ways of molesters. Out of curiosity, how is it that you are not? ;\)

My hunch is this won't be Jackson's last bout with the law regarding this type of thing.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My partner is a psychologist who specializes in the rehabilitation of sex offenders, so I've come to learn a lot in our time together regarding the traits and behaviours of said miscreants. It's interesting, if disturbing, stuff, and amazing how easily sex offenders smooze through society with the full trust of most of joe public.

My point is, how can an uninformed jury possibly come to a decision based on a 'common sense' approach, and justice be served. The ignorance in their post-trial statements leads me to believe that either the prosecution failed to provide enough expert testimony to educate the jury or the jury did not have the facilities to take it on board.

I'm not saying he's guilty, just that the reasons given for acquittal by some give cause for concern.

So in your partners opinion is it true that sex offenders cannot be rehabilitated? When I used to work in law I had a client in prison whom was a sex offender...very cunning. Like you mention miteyak, they do smooze through society quite unnoticed.

Miteyak - thoughtful comments.

However no jury can ever be expected to attain professional knowing (esp to your partners level) in any field. Their job is to listen, think, sift, analyse, discuss, discard and decide. Informed Nous is one of the critical qualities that they must rely on. Such is the case for all juries.

Our uninformed subjective judgements/profiling on the capacities of the jurors (relying in the main on fleeting media bytes) has no clear meaning. We do not know what when on in their discussions for 1 week. Sometimes in life the Educated Guess presents greater dangers than the Uneducated one.

The Jury system with all it's faults and imperfections certainly presents a fairer face in my opinion than the "guilty with doubt" systems we find commonplace, esp in Japan.

I'm against jury trials in cases where professional knowledge is crucial, especially when there is no 'testing' of jurors to know whether they are even capable of 'critical analysis'. Fair point regarding the potential abuse of power re: non-jury trials, but there's more colors than black and white.

Kintaro, no, they can be rehabilitated to an extent, i.e. taught to 'manage' the addiction by helping them recognise the thoughts, feelings and emotions leading up to the offence and taking action to avoid reoffending; typically cognitive behavioural therapy based on the relapse prevention cycle originally developed for treatment of drug and alcohol addiction is used.

Miteyak, if you were accused of a criminal act would you really rather be judged by a single, life appointed judge rather than a group of your peers? Defendants and plaintiffs are allowed to hire expert witnesses for technical issues but a single judge will always have preconceived ideas. After all, the professional knowledge is still crucial, but with a jury it will be analyzed by more than one person to determine your fate. Personally, I'd rather have a jury.

Understood.

There no doubt are a myriad of permutations available in the formation of a judging panel.

And any technical expertise on such panels would surely be welcomed by many.

Just who nominates the experts?

Are experts infallible?

Seems a great many of the daily strifes of life have had an expert or three involved - think medicine & hospitals for starters. But digressing.

Actually I agree with the intent of your comments, just I've had this discussion of late with some local people who shrink at the idea of being called up for the newly to be tried jury system.

How can we mere mortals be expected to think for gods sake, at the level of the exalted ones? \:\)

Kintaro, I'd be in favor of being judged by my peers... liberal, free-thinking professionals, pragmatic, with a proven ability to process complex information on subjects they aren't necessarily well versed in. Unfortunately, I don't believe many of the above-qualified make it to jury duty. A jury is more akin to Russian roulette, you could get a linch mob... would anyone but Michael have not been hung on the evidence presented (nature of the crime and all)?

"Seems a great many of the daily strifes of life have had an expert or three involved - think medicine & hospitals for starters. But digressing".

A fair point, snobee, but i'd still take a doctor's advise over ten ill-informed individuals if I had a serious medical condition... preferably two or three doctors.

There has to be accountability, and a jury is not accountable (along with judges, I believe). For a fair system of justice (for both the accused and the victims), the rule of transparency and accountability has to be applied, a failing of both the Judge and Jury system.

I'd quite like to be on a jury, however!

Quote:
smooze
couldnt find this word in the dictionary do you guys mean Schmooze?.

as far as MJ is concerned I think the thing that most saved him and tipped the jury in his favour was the overall credibility of the family behind the prosecutions case.
From accounts have have read and seen on CNN they have been portrayed as conniving and untrustworthy. The jury must have bought into this and through the evidence presented to them.
I wonder how this case would have turned out if the family at the centre of it was sincere and had a watertight case without the inconsistencies of this case.
MJ is a lucky man and a bona fide freak. Hopefully he has learned his lesson for the second time.....