Ancient chinese earthquake detector. they look like a big vase with dragons on the sides. The dragons carry metal balls in their mouth which drop into an open frogs mouth positioned below.

Which side the ball drops from tells you the direction the quake came from. Always wanted one of those for the garden. Useful and look very cool.

Of course you could just get her a teddy bear :rolleyes:

Be single. Buy nothing.

Unless you are married to them, it is money down the toilet. I am not being miserable either, I am being serious.

It is a two way street and a man is not a vending machine of expensive female wants.

I highly recommend presents that are very original and not expensive at all. If she doesn't think you are the sweetest man alive for your thought and caring effort* then you shouldn't be buying her anything at all. Leave that to some other sucker that wants to stroke their own ego by giving inappropriately expensive gifts to girls that demand them (and probably get them from more than one guy).

(ps - Nor is a man a camel, but we already knew that, so get pissed at xmas).

* btw, planning and putting together the thought and effort is FUN. Way more fun than buying expensive usual presents. It is a rare opportunity to be in the situation where you can make a specific effort, so if you have the chance then make the most of it. You will be old, bald and single before you know it :p so dont waste your time buying diamonds and expensive underpants.

Oh yeah, if she is a non-Christian Japanese then tell her to forget the whole shebang anyway. Explain that xmas is about the birth of Christ, not giving presents (good luck holding a straight face whilst you do it).

I take the view that just knowing me is enough of a gift and resist all attempts to have lesser presents prized out of me. People can give me gifts if they want to, but shouldn't expect anything in return.

If I have the choice I'd rather give cash but unfortunately that is not cool/romantic.

Men, we have to do everything!

Come on sweet people, I can really use some help here.

Siren, clean your ears:

DON'T BUY HER A DAMN THING.

I got over that farce about 5 years ago. Since then it has been small presents at xmas for important people (ie, a serious GF). Big expensive things can be bought and given randomly throughout the year as the mood of the relationship flows, rather than the mood of commercially driven xmas thought for each other. However, note that this is still money in the toilet unless she is your wife.

A sure fire winner?

MAKE something. A trinket, a card, anything that looks like it took a bit of time and effort. Doesn`t have to be big, just special.

She will adore you and your talents.

And you can prove you`re good with your hands. What could be better? \:D