Quote:
Originally posted by Dear Britain:
ocean,

not quite what you are after (it is designed for water sports) but the Gath Hat comes with a retractable visor, viz:

helmets.gif
I got me trusty Gath!
But funny thing is that I used it once in the water and it made horrid sounds underwater that made my balls shrink so now it has been relegated to my Bali bike helmut (and my scooter helmut here on conbini runs)
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gath's a nice-looking helmet, but I wonder if that visor alone would provide enough light-blocking for snowboarding, especially since it doesn't have a peak.

Horrid sounds seem to be a problem with helmets. There's a lady screaming her guts out in my helmet when I go fast. It used to make me look behind me abruptly before I got used to it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
surf helmuts are funky but I think try to protect your ears alot more thanski helmuts. Plus I bet they dont get that water logged
Yeah they serve 2 purposes
1. protect the nut from reefs
2. Lots of guys get surfers ear from cold winds thus wearing to protect their ears. But they are a deaf as in the water. Don't try striking up a convo with one in the water..

I guess the visors would get scratched riding through bushes too...

Toque, I hate goggles because I normally wear glasses, and I seem to give off more vapour than normal people when I exercise. Now I use contacts when I'm boarding, but the goggles still mist up really easily. Plus they limit your vision.

(Once, a few years back, I had climb out of a powder-filled gully by making steps using my board. It was sweaty work. My glasses and goggles were completely opaque with mist. I had to resist the temptation to tear them off my face and throw them as far as my remaining strength would allow...)

The motherships are too fat for what I'm looking for. Mainly looking for a waiste of 75-85mm. Thanks for the tip though.

Keep em coming if you see them.

A problem I have had though with twintips and skins is the tail slides off easier when touring because it is rounded. But that isn't that big a deal other than checking it every so often.

And like what Fattwins said - As soon as you have to start hiking the goggles come off. If you are wearing a toque though this might be worse as it might be wet thus making more problems but with a helmet my goggles always go up on the brim.

A visor would make this difficult though. How do people get around that?

you can get funky clip set ups for twin tips but I have never had a problem with mine. too be honest one reason I bought them was because the tail shape is not rounded so the clip stays on.

Take a look at old Lbfs My friend found them in Tokyo for 20000 yen 88mm waist but a real gs turner. I find it a prefect spring ski or steep chute ski.

> A visor would make this difficult though. How do people get around that?

There's no getting around it really. Your helmet and goggles effectively become one unit with an on/off option.

\:\) You can try pulling reelly reelly hard on your goggles to get them over the peak, but it looks pretty funny, and if you let go accidentally... \:o

I will have to have a look for the Lbf's then. That is pretty much what I am looking for.

Skins with Twintips is a wierd combo. I have only had a few problems with my 1080's but when they come off it is annoying to have to put them back on especially as they get wet and then don't stick.

I have seen your helmut Ocean and in part it is the problem. A full face helmut will lock more heat in. Plus your helmut is first generation of cross over bike helmuts not really made for goggles to sit on top. Newer types allow you to move your goggles around a bit more.

Well there is a number of lines I want to hit around northern Gifu but that won't be until next May.

For the winter I just want to get out there and hit it hard. Maybe try and get some bigger lines with a few bigger cliffs conditions permitting (really deep)