It has started.

I got myself a dakine helipro backpack and a gyro helmet is on the cards. With luck and self control (right) I may be able to avoid getting anything else.

What are you getting?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

already got some splitboards. looking to also get:

*Black Diamond FlickLock Expedition Poles

*aluminum shovel that can store the snow-saw in the handle (BD or Voile?)

*new outerwear (Lowe Alpine? Montbell? North Face?)

*new gloves (tore up my pair last season)

I am looking into getting the K2 Shuksan or Black Diamond Havoc or Crossbow. But will buy anything if the price is right. Want them on mid fats.

Would be great on the bigstix but I do most of my touring in the spring/summer so don't need such a big ski for that. Also the bigstix tip is so fat that the skins have trouble staying attached.

Fatts, when you say 'helmet with visor', do they exist? What makes? And does that mean you don't need goggles?

It sounds like maybe a cool idea, just as long as they manage to make the system more windproof than say, oh I dunno, Subaru Impreza driver's side windows...

Oh, I see. What I'd call a 'peak' I think.

My helmet has one, and it fell off at 47 once because one of the dumb bolts came out. I put in a pocket and thought I was glad to be rid of it.

I was soon at the DIY shop getting new bolts because it keeps so much sun out of your eyes, and makes it comfortable to ride in shades when you don't really need goggles.

The new ones are stronger and much lighter these days. I would love one to keep the sun out of my eyes but I modified my helmut now and can listen to music when by myself. my system cost 1000 yen for the right thin headphones and other systems cost 5000 yen plus.

When I was right into river swimming we would wear self bailing helmets with holes all over them. Wearing a helmet in moving water without holes is like wearing a bucket on your head. It will just drag you under.

But yes I do want a touring ski. Something light but with high enough performance to still be good. The B2 would be a great ski if it were not so expensive.

With the skin issue I think you can get wide bails but then I would always have to be switching. And if anybody has ever tried to pull G3 skins apart that have been stuck together for ever (like the tip part) you will bust your gut doing this.

If you shoot for some older b2s or xx's you should be alright. Im not a fan of touring skis at all too weak if you want to try bold moves. Met a guy last year rip ass skier who spent years in Chamoix (Spelling). He came to Japan to hit the lines behind happo to Norikura and said dont trust your life with touring gear. If your not goning to be bold on them though and go balls to the walls...

Hey Capt I think youll find that pack great good balance easy to strap skis on fast but it doesnt hold enough gear for more than light tours. in and out of bounds. I use a different pack when I do a full day tour cause I can get everything in it. That said having to put my trekkers in there takes up space and weight so I might change my mind if I get freerides.

Well the K2 Shucksan and Black Diamond skis are built for hardcore descents. I am not really worried about them. I wouldn't buy a strictly touring ski. Leaps and bounds are being made trying to incorperate back and front country skiing. Just look at all the burly touring gear on the market now. Boots and Bindings made for resort backcountry and technical descents. Skis are coming along as well.

I find it really tough finding older gear in Japan. I don't want long boards but I don't really want to go below 180. But if worse comes to worse there is a pair of 179 BD Crossbows in my local outdoor shop.

I have always liked the bandit series though. My first time on fat skis was demoing the first XXX many years ago which led me to buy my Atomic Powder Plus's.

Touring gear just doesnt stand up to hucking. lighter materials which will always be slightly weaker.

I can always find older gear if I want to but I also sometimes use my japanese friends who have skied alot here and know tons of shops so Im lucky in that respect. If you are going to The Big T shop around.

Yah I will be in Tokyo next month.

I was there in May though and didn't really see anything old. Asked all over as well. Best deal I saw was K2 Shucksans for 20,000 which is kind of why I am interested in them.

But for going big I have my fatties. I skiied them all last season in everything from 0-100 cm's of fresh snow so they are pretty versatile for me. Some of it wasn't pretty but it was fun.