So I was thinking of going to the Imperial Palace tomorrow. I don't know anything about it, other than it is supposed to be the only day of the year it is open to the public. Anyone know anything? Is it so crowded you have to get there at 5AM? Is it a stupid thing for a gaijin to do (by himself)? Will they throw me in the moat?

Any help is appreciated (and the sooner the better since it is tomorrow).

It could scarcely be more boring. They herd groups of several hundred of you into an enclosure and 2 stories up the Imperials are standing like shop dummies. With less animation than an Osaka department store Christmas display, they wave in a robotic fashion, and you get herded out again. You can wave a little Japanese flag throughout.

I'd go and do something more interesting, and then watch it on TV later (thanking your uncle Ocean11 that you took his advice).

I don't think there's any tour, nor free sake. You don't even get to go into a 'palace'. It's a concrete enclosure and his Imp is behind glass.

You wave, he waves, then you get herded out onto the street again.

Don`t know anything about the palace but a few things have been brought to my attention.

1. I`ve been told it is actually the dead emperors birthday. Not the current one.

2. It`s actually called `green day`. (I have my doubts about this one, I thought that was part of golden week or somewhere round then)

3. And this is for real, not one Japanese person I have asked (and I come into contact with a few) could tell me the name of the Emperor.

Why the hell not??!! Wots his name dammit? mad.gif

His name is Akihito.

It is funny how most people don't know the emporer's name. They know his wife's name, his son's name and his son's kid is a mini-celeb on her own. But who's the emporer you ask? "I don't know. The guy after the showa era, right??"

wakaranai.gif

I went to the palace on Jan 2nd - I guess his b-day isn't the only day you can see him. It was kinda cool to walk through the grounds and you can certainly see a good deal although you can't go in any buildings. It was crowded but nothing compared to the 2 hour cattle drive at Meiji Jingu the day before. The actual appearance by him and his family lasted less than 5 minutes. He just came out, wished everyone prosperity in the new year and then waved while everyone furiously shook their paper flags.

Oh the Japan experience...