I always feel sorry for those character comedians when they have to do things in real life, such as collect awards, do interviews etc. The reason is because they often try to do it 'in character' but lack the improvisational skills to pull it off, so its just cringeworthy.

The worst example was Alan Partridge. He's a great character in the TV series, but when the actor who plays him was doing interviews it just didnt come over at all. Couldnt pull it off.

Anyway, I wonder whether Gervais gave his speech in character or just as himself.

I love the Office, but to be fair I dont think it is that original. There was Alan Partidge doing the same thing years ago, and also stuff like Phoenix Nights, The Royale Family and so on. Its just a humourous fake documentary. Remember Spinal Tap?

The Office did it better, but the concept was copied.

It might have borrowed ideas, but it was much less of a "copy" than most things out there. And it just did what it did so well. I can't wait to see those special Christmas ones they did. Has anyone here got them on vid?