Great news! Well maybe not for everyone, but for me anyway. Japan is going to allow visa free entry for visitors holding a Hong Kong SAR passport. I used to have to wait in line for hours to file my visa application and then another few hours to pick it up at the Japanese embassy. Although I always thought it was worth it, that won't be necessary anymore! clap.gif

Hong Kong has always been referred to as the SAR (special administrative region) since 1997. When SARS first broke out in China in late 2002, it was first called Atypical Pneumonia. When it reached Hong Kong and spread to the rest of the world in early 2003, it was named SARS here (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome). I often wonder whether the choice of that new name was a coincidence!

Anyway, Hong Kong citizens can choose between two passports. The BNO (British National Overseas) Hong Kong passport issued by the British Embassy here, or the Hong Kong SAR passport issued by the local government here under the sovereignty of China. They can also choose to have both and many do, as well as holding Australian, Canadian, U.S....etc. passports. Collecting passports like credit cards has been a fad here for more than 20 years. I am one of the few who only own just one passport.

Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:
Congrats.

Now if only they'd do something for "us" (the ones already here re: rearentry permits etc)
rearentry permits? So, the are even taxing sodomy and the gay males in this country..... Weird....

On the Visa issue.....My 3 year Visa for Japan will expire soon and I`m considering options....That one is on My NZ passport as I also hold a British one can I get another three year Visa on that one.....Any help would be great..Cher