Time to change our flag! (NZ)

http://www.nzflag.com/default.cfm

great and thought evoking site. I thoroughly agree that the old one has got to go, just look at Canada for inspiration! they traded in their crappy colonial flag and now possess the worlds best flag, that instantly gives them identity (and looks cool on swimming caps at the olympics ;\) )

The old NZ flag inspires nothing, has no identity and is forever mistaken for Australia.

Time to move forward NZ onwards and upwards!

Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:
But your current flag is so LOVELY!
actually there scouser I really like the Union Jack, but as a whole flag, Its cool and evocative flag, great symmetry and looks great on underpants ;\) )
But tagged into the upper quadrant of a blue background doesnt do it justice nor represent the the essence of the country behind it.

But I saw on BBC how the St Georges cross has been coming back and usurping the UJ as the flag of choice in England. Englanders would rather be associated with the Cross than as a Brit and the Jack. How do other Englanders- feel about it?
 Quote:
Originally posted by jared:
The Kea is ....much more representative of the NZ population
what?! A bird that knows nothing other than sport and that shags sheep? Amazing.

BTW, how can NZ's be pains in the arses? There isn't enough of you to even make a ripple.

I find the Union Jack a bit of an insult being as it is supposed to incorporate all of the UK. England...check, Scotland....check, Northern Ireland.....check and Wales....erm.

There ain't room for a bloody great red dragon!? Well it would, of course, ruin the symmetry that kamo seems to admire.

As for NZ flag, well what would u have?

Good question. I agree that the Union Jack should go, along with the Queen as the "symbolic" head of state. The problem is what to replace them with-President Winston? A buzzy bee or a koru? Plenty of flags around the world are stuck with this anacronism. It can be difficult to explain why it is still there if we are a fully independent nation.

The Aussies put the Republic to the vote and decided against it. Does this mean royalists are in the majority or that many Aussies struggled over the complexity of a two choice decision and ticked the wrong box? lol.gif

The key reason why you should change your flag is that 49% of northern hem people that I meet think that NZ is a state of Australia. The remaining 51% had never heard of NZ.

These results are quite understandable and are a true reflection of NZ's global stature.

It's funny you should say that, db, because I believe that in Hong Kong, at least, most people are quite aware that Aust and NZ are different countries (sorta like Canada and U.S.). However, I must admit that even I have to look twice to make sure I don't mistake the Aussie flag from the Kiwi one.

Australian flag - Patriotic British snotrag with spilled milk

NZ flag - Patriotic British snotrag with nosebleed

Mr Matthews, didn't anybody tell you, the welsh bit of the Union Flag is on the back?

:p :p :p

Kamo, I agree that we should change the existing flag and that the silver fern is the only real contender, but it would make for a very black flag - not all that different from a pirate flag.

Are there any other options?

well there is this one indexflag.jpg

from this dude who is on a campaign to change.

I dont think there should be a Maori element to it, a plain and simple one that represents ALL NZers in one go.

I like the Black, its distinctive, no one else has a black flag, it would be instantly recognisable

and synonomous with NZ.

The NZflag.com flag is simple newzealandflag.gif

there is also this web page that hasa raft of suggestions

img2.gif

img3.gif

img4.gif

img5.gif

I like the top one and I'd prefer to see some Maori symbolism than the Union Jack, which has negative connotations for many of the people its supposed to represent. The Southern Cross has to stay but I don't go for the silver fern, its basically a sports logo.

The top one looks like a logo for a consortium of diary farmers.... with an interest in surfing. The second one looks like the white feather of a coward on a black background.

Not being a pain for the sake of it, just giving my first impressions.

Oh, as for the southern cross.... that is 100% Australia's symbol, leave it alone and find your own constellation ;\) :p