Teaching English to elementary school kids

I am wondering how current Japanese elementary school teachers are going to cope "teaching English" as they will have to (?) soon when its part of the curriculum. Are they getting suitable training or are they just going to be expected to GO DO IT!

Getting a trip to a foreign country (actually living in a foreign country) is the usual deal for language teachers in the First World. Getting AETs in has not been a winning solution - not that it was ever meant to be...

They actually introduced it into the curriculum last year. A group of five of us have been teaching in 10 elementary schools in Saitama area. Every single class we teach, the Japanese English teachers play usually play no part in it. The planning, curriculum and actual teaching is pretty much in our hands. Some of the teachers try and particpate as much as possible, but the majority tend to do take a backseat and literally sit at the back of the classroom. A lot of it comes down to their actual ability.

Quote:
They actually introduced it into the curriculum last year.
Maybe where you are, but it is still only in a few limited areas.

It's a few years before it becomes an all Japan thing.

I thought it was only some major city areas that have it as part of the curriculum now and it was being phased in over the next 2 years to other parts. The kids where I am don't learn English - they just get the occasional visit from an ALT.