Mm, I see your point. I do wonder how many potential terrorists that would apply to though.

But bearing that possibility in mind surely shows how much more unwise is the accusatory linkage of the election in Spain, the pulling out of a troops, and the recent terrorism. Instead of that, it's important that everybody understand the many other valid, moral reasons why so many people in the countries whose militaries are involved don't approve.

I wonder what Koizumi actually meant in that quote above. Was it just an unthinking platitude, or an admission that the Japanese people lack sovereignty...?

All this Japan and terrorism thing is, of course, of great concern to me. Not only is it my beloved country and the country of my future wife (whom I have yet to meet), but it is also the place where I have parked a huge sum of $$$, betting on a rising Yen and Nikkei.

Quote:
Originally posted by Markie:
it is also the place where I have parked a huge sum of $$$, betting on a rising Yen and Nikkei.
Well that was just plain right stupid wasn't it! ;\) This is moeny that could be better spent on Skiing and bar visits where you would actually get some kind of decent enjoyable return on your money!

Markie, unless this country gets a very sharp kick in the pants from somewhere, I think it will wallow in depression for a long time to come. A dose of gaiatsu in the form of terror from outside would at least show it the need for sovereign policy.

What makes you think it has a bright future?

Alright, so this post spurs from the commonly-noted "US dependence on Mid-east oil." After much frustration finding primary sources for US oil data, I've concluded the following interesting facts:

*The US produces approximately 40% of its own crude oil for consumption.

*In the most recent month for data, the top two exporters of oil to the US were nowhere near the middle east, but were rather Mexico and Canada. Saudi Arabia was third.

*OPEC supplies the US with less than 30% of its crude oil.

*The Mid-East supplies the US with less than 15% of its crude oil.

*The final, and most disturbing fact about American oil consumption is that, despite having perhaps 5% of the world's population, it consumes almost 30% of its oil \:\(

So, although 15% is far from an insignificant number, it might be lower than many expected. This does not make the situation in the Mid-east any more stable, especially considering the implications for oil exploration in the Caspian sea region, but I thought some hard facts might shed some light...

More relevantly, mid-east money could account for more than 20% of U.S. capital, and is the linch-pin that holds up the dollars' supremacy.

It doesn't matter who buys the oil, just that Americas financiers conitnue to receive dollars, trade in dollars, and invest in the U.S.

It's not so much 'US dependence on oil', rather 'US dependence on oil dollars'

Apart from that, crazyski, the stats are bogus without a look at the bigger picture. Less oil leads to higher prices/less supply globally, so while the US may not import much from the ME, ME production still has a great effect on supply and price of oil in the states.

Ocean, I hope you are wrong about the J economy. My analysis is very upbeat about Japan's economic prospects. Have you heard what bonuses Honda and Toyota workers will be getting? I hope you're getting something similar from Mits.. , Mogs.

Part of my optimism is from the rising demamd for J-goods from S.E. Asia. especially China, as the populations of these countries rise from poverty levels and start developing a taste for J-consumer goods and cars. The order books of goods flowing through HK from Japan to China and other SE Asian countries shows a very healthy up trend.

If I get this right, I'll be buying those bars and not just their drinks where I go skiing! Well, maybe not that much, but I will certainly be buying the drinks! Don't forget you lost the last wager we had, Mogs!

Markie I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Just to add to miteyak's points, Saudi Arabia does America's bidding in pumping the right amounts to keep prices down for America, undercutting other countries when necessary.

Also it's no coincidence that the US and UK are the world's biggest arms dealers, and Saudi and Kuwait are the 1st and 3rd biggest customers respectively.

While the US uses a great percentage of the world's resources, it also creates a large percentage of its wealth. But especially at the moment, it is the biggest contributor to instability. (I see the Bush regime has just pissed off Libya by claiming victory over Libya for giving up its weapons programmes.)

Markie while our freinds in Honda and Toyota might be getting a bonus increase, the base salary remains unchanged. Bonuses should not really be a reflection of the ecnonomy sit here in J-land cause they represent very little of the reality except that of the company of issue.

As for demand for J goods, well that mihgt be the case, but I think you will find that despite the large customer base the base level price to fight competition is extremly low. So while producing a crap load of goods at a low price might span out to the same profit level as very few at a high price, the overheads, investments, man power charges required to get this volume pretty much even out the stakes. So what you might be seeing is a higher demand on ground with good gross sales figures, but I am pretty sure that many companies are just breaking even in many of their ventures.

As for this mess here, well that is a whole new story over many many many beers.

That's the thing about the Japanese, Ocean. The American and Europeans can also produce cars and electronics etc. But in the end, a lot (not all, but a sizeable no.) prefer to buy Japanese. At first because they were cheaper, but over the years, the strong Yen has made the prices similar. I really think it is a question of quality. China produces nearly all the electronic goods exported by Japan but anyone in Hong Kong and soon China who can afford it will prefer the Japanese. Their reputation for quality is impeccable.

I just wish they had J-wives for sale.

For Sale: Japanese wife (used)

Cooks a variety of Western and Asian food. Proven child bearing and mothering ability. Good tempered unless provoked. Comes with a driving license. Price negotiable (includes 1 year's supply of clothing and makeup).

Gosh, that wasn't very gentlemanly was it.

Young mogs is coming along fine thanks. Hopefully by 05-06 season young mogs will be in training for big mountain free skiing with Pops in trail!

41 replies, and no one mentioned Israel with one word? that is very strange! (did i overlook something?)

I am 100% in favor of the state of Israel, but just imagine if Israel was not there.

Or at least imagine if USA was a fair partner in peace brokering. then the world would look a lot more peacefull, but also very taihen for the jewish people!

ATB

Soon-to-be-injured-in-the-snowpark, Thunderpants

Ocean, you are not looking at the bigger picture!

Israel is a big part of the Iraq war thing, i belive that Iraq was a potential threat to Israel, and that was one of the reasons for the war.

Needless to say that the Iraq war is one of the reasons for the recent terror attack in spain.

USA's support of Israel, who in the eyes of the arabs and others are supressing the palestininas is another.

Japans support of USA's ME politics is, in the eyes of Al Q. a reason for an attack here in Jp.

Any country that follows USA's pro Israel politics is in danger including my country Denmark, whos government is acting like a lovesick dog

Oh yeah Ocean11, Israel is very important in this discussion.

ATB

thunder