I wouldn't blame the system or the existence of a extreme rightwing lunatic fringe for this one. I think it comes down to Koizumi himself.

I think its time people realized what kind of person Koizumi is. The man's not some great liberal reformer who's come along to save Japan (I won't deny the need for one). He's just your typical rightwing nut. He gets cut lots of slack just because he's younger than the average model, has "wild" hair, jumps up when Japan scores a goal, and likes Elvis Presley. It's all just image politics.

HashiRyu was (is?) head of the Veterans Association, so at least his visit would have appeased part of his personal power base. Obuchi and Mori didn't go to Yasukuni (of course Murayama didn't), so it hard to argue that the LDP or the system is behind Koizumi's visit. It was his decision alone, I reckon.

Quote:
Originally posted by Siren:
But there must be Japaneses who think that he should continue to go.

He is a politician which by definition will do what is popular with the voters?

No?
Politicians do not necessarily follow public opinion. As a recent example, the governments of several countries sent troops to Iraq despite popular opposition.

While some people may think Koizumi's visits are great and that what Japan really needs is more kamikaze pilots, I doubt it is a calculated move by Koizumi to gain support. Its possibly calculated only in the sense that everyone knows public ignorance and apathy will let him off. The people clued up enough to oppose his visits-let's not forget, this isn't the first time he's been there-probably won't support him in the first place or if they are zainichi, they won't even have the vote.

I dont get when foreigners criticize Japan for its negative aspects, which there are lots of, its considered Japan bashing. That has baffeled me for the duration Ive been in Japan - especially after living in Hiroshima for most of my time, I couldnt count the endless times I have been criticized by Japanese for the nuclear bombings in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

In parks, at bars, onsen, anywhere, you can feel immediately where the conversation is going "your country destroyed these cities, how do you feel? Or, Dont you think its wrong? I lost my mother and father in the blast. Or, they died from radiation fallout." "How could you do that to us?" Its a really taigi conversation to have over and over because there is NO easy way to answer that - but the most shocking thing is Japanese always feel they are the victims.

I cant remember a single time where people said,"Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and the Tokyo fire raids were terrible things; however, we attacked Hawaii first, so maybe, just maybe, we created this mess." (Im not condoning the use of nuclear weapons so please dont misunderstand)

It just pisses me off when a foreigner criticizes Japan for things like: corrupt politicians, poor city planning(maybe a complete lack of would be be more appropriate), overuse of plastic, poor recycling, cement mountains, asbestos buildings, non-insulated apartments and houses, most expensive domestic flights in the world, misrepresented textbooks, ludicrous highway tolls, its considered Japan bashing, regardless of the way the Japanese often bash the US. Not to mention, all these missppropriations of money go directly to the politicians pocket who continue to, for lack of a better word, destroy a beautiful country because they havent changed their ways for the last 30 plus years wakaranai.gif

This was in response to Davos before mentioned post.

I just spoke to my girl about this and the Yasukunijinja and she said that her grandfather was building ships in Kure during the blast and developed cancer due to the radiation and subsequently died afterwards. Which, because of this, led her father, who was born just after the bombings, to be very fragile and have a weak body, he seems to not have a lot of energy and neither does my girl or her brother which was inherited genetically. They always say their bodies are tsukareyasui. I also just learned "hibaku issei, nissei, sansei" or atom-bomb survivor 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation survivor.

sorry bout the long rant

The Japanese need look no further than their own wartime government for someone to blame for the bombings.

They should know that the units involved in the massacres at Nanking were predominantly from Hiroshima.

They should know that Japan was also developing nuclear weapons and that one of the last U-boats to leave Nazi Germany was headed to Japan with a consignment of uranium oxide for Japan's nuclear program. This probably ended up being used in the bombs dropped on Japan, although if the war had gone the other way, there can be no doubt whatsoever, given their record, that the Japanese leadership would have used them.

As for the genetic effects of the bombs, I suspect the issue is as politicized as the historical issue. You can bet that if you think you are tsukareyasui, you will be. That's not to say that it is psychological, only that it is a possibility.

• 1 year later...

Great

=====================

> Embassy in Beijing warns Japanese nationals over Yasukuni backlash

Monday, October 17, 2005 at 11:25 JST

BEIJING — The Japanese Embassy in Beijing issued a warning Monday to Japanese nationals in China about possible "strong reactions" from the Chinese public following Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi's visit to the war-linked Yasukuni Shrine.

The warning was issued through email to registered Japanese nationals. "Chinese authorities have consistently showed a severe attitude toward the prime minister's visits to Yasukuni Shrine, and today's visit could also prompt strong reactions from the Chinese government as well as the public," the message said. Japanese nationals should pay attention to news reports as well as messages issued on the Japanese Embassy website, and stay away from crowded areas, the embassy said.

=====================

Take an entirely unnecessary step that will possibly endanger citizens abroad who are currently driving your country's economy.

I knew he'd be right back at Yasukuni after people supported him on the post office lark.