Most Japanese men folk at work are claiming that if this was 50 years ago then samurai spirit would take care of the problem and the three hostages would kill themselves rather than harm the country or cause a political problem. Some of them are even imitating the 'cut the stomach open' knife movement. Charming.

It is like they are almost enjoying seeing at last an opportunity where Japanese nationals can end their lives for the betterment of Japan.

An OL was heard saying "perhaps this mean that they wont blow up a train in Tokyo". She was implying that this hostage situation will be the substitute for a domestic event. She seemed on the edge of relief.

All up, what a shitty situation for Japan. It would be bad for any country, but Japan's history and thus present political environment is so complicated (?) that the captors pretty much have Japan by the twisted nipple. Japan presented such an easy and high return target. With little effort it is so easy to destabalise the country. I sometimes think that the Japanese powers are well aware of this fact and it is exactly why they sent troops to Iraq... to precipitate instability and facilitate a return to a more militant constitution. "Here is my nose, hit it as hard as you can, make it bleed and then I will have no excuses not get in a to get in a fight with you".

I fear that those poor hostages are as dead as dead. America ****ed this whole thing up and we are all idot nations for following them in. Terrorists are vile scum, but you dont qwell the hatred of religious freaks by killing more Muslims in their home land. And sadly America is the most murderous blood bath western nation we could have sent in. The American military is designed for one thing: kill and destroy. The American government is armed to the teeth and without the use of obscene force, cant solve problems. We have power and blood hungry religious driven morons of both side of this conflict and a whole bunch of scared and unstable nations trying to pick sides.

What a mess.

Tis interesting that US has not commented much so far on this latest turn of events.

Maybe the US will be kind enough to send their troops in to rescue these people? On second thought, no they are only from Hokkaido and of no great publicity importance in the Mainland US.

I guess sending in the troops to find these people will reap the same results as the search for WMD.

It is a sad turn of events.

I wonder if the J govt. realise these people are never coming back regardless of any and all diplomatic channels being exhausted...

The Japanese govt. made such a stupid move by sending troops to Iraq.... even for non-combat purposes. Japan was well above this fray, but the idiots running this country asked for terror threats, and asked for something like the kidnappings when they got involved. They could've stayed out of this mess. STUPID STUPID STUPID!!! \:o

What's particularly sad about it is that these journalists are antiwar. One of them was there to investigate the effects of depleted uranium weapons. It will a horrible irony if he is killed because of the 'self defense forces' being there.

However, the fact that the government has discouraged independent Japanese coverage of the SDF in Iraq might mean that they are not too sorry to see independent journalists running into trouble in Iraq.

I read somewhere that for the cost of sending 1 one soldier, Japan could afford to send 10 or more non-military personnel. And now Japanese civilians are getting hurt, and Japan's effectiveness in Iraq is getting hurt, simply so they can have a military presence there.

Mad.

I was against the war in the first place and happy that NZ didn't send any troops to participate in "Operation Freedom" or whatever it was called back then. However, after the so-called victory I felt that it was right for countries which had not supported the war to try and help clean up the mess. Perhaps I was mistaken.

NZ took the same postion on the war as France and Germany rightly did. I felt it was a good idea for NZ to send in "non-combat" military engineers. Unfortunately there really is no such thing as a non-combat miltary force, and despite the fact they are there to clean things up they are probably seen as aggressors.

The Japanese position is worse of course-the govt ,against the wishes of most of the population ,were behind the US all the way. If they kill the hostages it will make it difficult for Koizumi to win the election. Also this may be just the begining of his and Japans troubles. I don't much fancy riding the subway these days.

But what to do? If everyone leaves, the Iraqi people are screwed, but the current situation is going from bad to worse. I think the US will go for a very heavy handed approach-everyone else will become more involved and guilty by association. I'm certain that the whole shit-pot situation suits the purposes of certain special interests. That's why it started in the first place.

I wonder if the US Army has spent time in marketing themselves as assistors and not aggressors. A little bit of education to the population on the purposes of other units from other countries in the area would go a long way and might've prevented this latest uprising from happening.

I don't know how Mr.Koizumi will solve this situation.

I tried to understand about him when he decided to send Japanese troops to Iraq. But now I learned the terrorists are not like us. Whatever he says, the terrorists will kill any American friends. I'm very sad we are involved in this horrible situation.

I just hope that the hostages will be released safely. If not, Mr.Koizumi will be held responsible for his decision.

Enviroment Minister Ms Koike said those hostages were reckless. This is just like Ms Rice said something when the US army bombed a hotel in Baghdad. I know women are sometimes very cruel.

Siren, how you can be so optimistic?

The occupying forces have been subcontracting a lot of "security" work to private firms operating as quasi-mercenaries. Such firms are using Saddam Hussein's former National Guard, as well as other paramilitaries from around the world. Some of Pinochet's old crew have been given the job of guarding the airport.

While there is also the question of where such peoples' loyalties and interests lie, this obviously blurs the military/civilian distinction, so all foreigners in Iraq end up in the firing line.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2004-04-01-security-usat_x.htm

Lucky break or good foresight, whatever, I am so glad that Siren is right. I was also optimistic all the way, but it didn't stop me from worrying and feeling sympathetic towards the victims and their families.

I just hope the rumour of two more new J-hostages is untrue.

Had to chuckle at the BBC reporting "....And this being Japan, the families of the released hostages wasted no time in apologising to the nation for all the inconvenience that they had caused...."

I was of course feeling greatly for the family and the victims. I imagined being in their position and it did my head in. However, one thing I was really worried about was the event that Japanese people would have to watch Japanese hostages getting burnt alive whilst the Japanese SDF did nothing in an Iraq that was very politically contentious to begin with and given that Japan has a certain mixed up internal personality regarding military, constitution, national pride etc etc.

Perhaps an example of db reading too much into it? I saw this as one of those "little" things that could have changed the path a country was taking. One thing is for sure, Japanese people would not have taken it very well at all, and nor could I blame them.

It turned out well, but perhaps it was always going to turn out this way…

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very disappointed by Japanese media and politicians and people who criticize hostages that they are irresponsible withouht criticizing Japanese government...

That's basically the same line as here.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/story.jsp?story=516003

Quote:
Another minister, Nakagawa Shouichi, mused on whether to charge their families for the use of government offices in Japan during the crisis. He said: "People who get lost in the mountains have to pay for their rescue."
I've never heard of a mountain kidnapping someone for the actions of their government. :rolleyes: