Davo I think I might be doing a few day trips myself. the wife and i have different days off this year. Ill keep you up to date as to when and where Im going. Ps we can tour behind takasu, its not hakuba but its got some stuff.

I wish I was in BC then toque. I always seemed to be there during the pricy times. Its funny Alberta is cheap but BC isnt. What are you paying for gas in gifu we are 110 or 115 this way.

That'd be a delica space gear, but it's not all gas.

Y18,000 (approx.) in highway fees, and used to be Y12,000 in deisel. (one+ full tank up, one+ back, and half a one messing about in the area.

Yesterday, deisel was just off Y100, hi oct Y125. (osaka)

Deisel used to be around Y65

Japan is trying to get rid of diesel. Hyogo just came in witha new law too. There is a cheap way to come from osaka and not use the meshin mate. Ill get the directions but there is a free almost highway to suzuka. you then pay 1000 yen to get to nagoya and then jump on the chuo. its 2 hours longer but it saves you a bunch.

Time is more valuable to me now. I like to be parked up in Hakuba not more than five hours after leaving Osaka. (No, that doesn't happen when it's snowing).

Could save a few thou i'm sure by driving at 80km/h, but that just aint gonna happen...

As for the diesel thing, yeah, they're trying to get rid of it from the cities, but I don't think it applies to 'new' diesel.

Osaka already has the ban, and my car only has a few years left of eligibility. That'll add a bit to the price of a journey, gas being 25% more expensive AND less efficient.

Next motors definitely a hybrid... (or a beamer) ;\)

Once used Otsu service station as a car pool parking lot... two days later on leaving the freeway again from the same point of entry my friend had kis details duly noted, license and registration, I believe.

Still, he didn't get in trouble, so I guess it's workable.

I've given up snowboarding and anything that involves long distance travel so that my latter days might not be lived in grotesquely violent circumstances and so that my son perhaps won't have to survive on human flesh.

Those gas prices might go down for a while, but after a certain point they're just going to go up and up until folks like you can't afford it. For anything.