IAAF Osaka Grand Prix Athletics 8 May

For those living in Kansai, this Saturday is the IAAF Osaka Grand Prix at Nagai Stadium, Tix are 2500 or 1500 yen I believe, which is good for world class athletics. If you like athletics then Nagai is the place to be.

That's also one thing I noticed because I was once very active in the "athletics" circle. In Hong Kong when we say athletics, we usually mean "track and field". However, if we say someone is athletic or is an athlete we don't necessarily mean he is into "track and field" but rather that he is into sports. Having taken part in many (well not very many} international sporting events I remember people often asking "what are you into?" and when I reply "Athletics", they usually understand except for the Americans. They usually say "What kind of athletics?" and when I reply "400m hurdles" they always say "Oh, you mean Track and Field!". After a while I learn to answer "I do Track" when I know the other person is an American and I say "I do Athletics" for all the others.

Yes it was a good day out, nice weather and a good atmosphere, pole vault is really cool to watch up close. Maurice Greene is fast! seeing him a telly is nothing to seeing him blast past in the flesh.

Start rant.

two things though annoyed me, one of the announcers was a woman with APPALLING pronounciation, of all the people they had to pick her?? I was embarrased as she cocked up all the foreign names. She sounded like the "lip my stocking" lady from Lost in Translation, but worse. Unbelievable.

Second one is a forewarning to the Olympics Games. The Womans 5000m meters was won by a Kenyan, after the race there was the immediate interview trackside with the sponsors screen in the background. The winner and the Japanese woman who got second were there and they (NHK) completely ignored the winner and panned straight to the Japanese woman and started interviewing her, the winner was totally ignored, no congratulations, or how do was the race?, just ignored. That is utter Bulls**t that really pisses me off, show some damn respect to others, at least acknowledge the winner before getting your precious interview with the Japanese runner, The Kenyan cant speak Japanese? get a translator in there and get a quick comment. Irrepective of what country you are in at the time and all other matters, show some respect to the other competetitors especially the winner of the race. Nothing makes me want to get out of Japan faster more that this "upthemselves" attitude.

I know the ignorant jingoistic public watching on TV dont care about others, just their precious local heroes BUT its about Respect, plain and simple.

I really enjoy the Olympics but the biased ignornant and downright crappy coverage will totally ruin it. It makes me sad.

End rant.

That really pisses me off as well kamo, drives me nuts. Its just the pits. Glad you enjoyed it, I'd like to go to one of these events one day.