Hello. I have new school project. We had to choose from many different fun different titles. Mine is sleeping animals.

I thought it would be easy - dog and cats and other pets are easy, but I don't know about many wild animal.

Silly question maybe, but - do you know some wild animals sleeping position? For example, giraffe or ostrich. What does he do with that big neck, lay it down on his side? Or dear with big horns. etc etc.

Sorry for the strange question! \:D

This may sound crazy, but try using the internet for some research. I'm sure there are plenty of pictures out there showing what you need. \:D

By the way, I have 3 dogs in my house. One sleeps on her back, one sleeps on her belly and my big dog likes to sleep on his side. Go figure.

Most horned animals sleep on their stomaches, legs splaid. At least what I've seen in person. I got lost climbing on the slopes of Mt Jefferson in Oregon one night and ended up bedding down with a family of elk. They pretty much just lowered themselves down on their stomaches and crashed. It was really cold that night, but luckily they let me lay in the middle of them for warmth. Unfortunately, it was the fall (the season of the rut), and one dominant male took exception to my intrusion in to the herd and challenged me to a fight. Thankfully, I had a hot glue gun on me (battery powered of course) and was able to find some thick oak branches to attach to my head. We went at it for at least 45 minutes, and I must say, I got my ass handed to me. 'Ol Al (as in Al Bundy - the dominant male) really got the best of me. After my deflating loss, I was kicked out of the herd. After an 8 hour walk downslope through the pugnant douglas firs, I finally ran into a road. Alongside this road ran a creek brimming with brook trout. I lived there alongside the road for 3 months, eating nothing but trout and mushrooms. By the way, trout sleep on their heads. I know, I know, very strange, but I witnessed it.

I've never told anyone this story, but I thought it related to what you were asking. I hope it helps you out.

I dont know about giraffes but I do know about horses - they usually sleep standing up but sometimes lie down for shortish periods. They cant stay lying down for too long - thats why horses with broken legs have to be shot (or put in a harness to hold them up for months.)

I'll bet that giraffes are the same and usually sleep standing up.

"Some years ago, one of our birding magazines

solicited answers to the question, "Why do shorebirds sleep standing on one leg?" I never got around to sending this one in, but I still think it's the obvious answer.

The reason is that shorebirds evolved in waters

harboring alligators. If the birds developed the habit of sleeping on one leg and an alligator were to snap off the leg a bird was standing on, it could always shift to the other. If, on the other hand, the bird was sleeping on both

legs, and they were both snapped off, then the poor bird wouldn't have had a leg to stand on."

http://kerncrestaudubon.org/chat/chat0404.pdf

Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:

Most horned animals sleep on their stomaches, legs splaid. At least what I've seen in person. I got lost climbing on the slopes of Mt Jefferson in Oregon one night and ended up bedding down with a family of elk. They pretty much just lowered themselves down on their stomaches and crashed. It was really cold that night, but luckily they let me lay in the middle of them for warmth. Unfortunately, it was the fall (the season of the rut), and one dominant male took exception to my intrusion in to the herd and challenged me to a fight. Thankfully, I had a hot glue gun on me (battery powered of course) and was able to find some thick oak branches to attach to my head. We went at it for at least 45 minutes, and I must say, I got my ass handed to me. 'Ol Al (as in Al Bundy - the dominant male) really got the best of me. After my deflating loss, I was kicked out of the herd. After an 8 hour walk downslope through the pugnant douglas firs, I finally ran into a road. Alongside this road ran a creek brimming with brook trout. I lived there alongside the road for 3 months, eating nothing but trout and mushrooms. By the way, trout sleep on their heads. I know, I know, very strange, but I witnessed it.

I've never told anyone this story, but I thought it related to what you were asking. I hope it helps you out.
If you had won the fight you would have had an entire harem of beautiful females ready to be fertilized come spring. Better luck next time.