For several years i have been exercising at night....but recently have heard that there is alot to be gained by exercising before brekkie.(well, i had heard of it before but chose to ignore it).

So over the last month i have been hitting the gym in the early am...and have discovered it is SO MUCH harder!!

Is it me?

Anybody have any stories for me on when you exercise and how you've gotten on??

A timely topic.

I've been running at night for two years now and I really like it. The darkness helps you focus, in summer it's cooler, there are fewer cars, and it helps clear the mind before bed.

Occasionally if I'm going out on the piss at night, I run during the afternoon and like you say, it's agony. I actually went out at 4 pm today and was staggering about.

I'm going to go before breakfast for about 15 minutes and see how it goes. Can't say I'm looking forward to dragging myself out though. First time out tomorrow.

good luck mon ami.....lemme know how ya go..

I prefer running at night too....cooler and peaceful. Actually...I should add...that the fitter i am the more i prefer running when it is hot out(afternoon). Dunno why...??!!

Up to thirty minutes of cardio before breakfast... meant to be the best time to burn fat, did it for a while, felt great after and worked well but... for some reason just could keep it going wakaranai.gif

As for hitting the gym/weights before breakfast... I cant max until after lunch at the earliest. maybe a year of conditioning might change that, but i'm not about to find out.

(the neighbours down below wouldn't be too chuffed, anyhows)

Early morning may well be the best for burining up those calories, but I just can't do it. Having to get up early for work is bad enough, the thought of getting up even earlier to exercise is just horrifying!!

Evenings for me.

Just to be an anal git (and just in case yer interested) calories burned are the same, it's where they come from that's different. Pre-brekkie exercise starts burning stored fat earlier, purportedly equalling twice the fat burned in a thirty minute workout. (longer is not recommended)

I, like you, can not get up any earlier than I have too while living a cityside existance...

words from the wise... couldn`t agree more with tha `mit` \:\)

exercising in the morn. will also aid in sleepin like a log at night. rememba, the hours before midnight are worth two after ;\) ... dunno if i could lift weights in the morn. some form of cardio exercise is deff. tha gee ohh.

and try to eat ONLY fruit in the a.m.

I went out this morning and it was cold, the air stank of exhaust, and my legs felt like lead.

But the toast and marmite tasted magnificent afterwards. We'll be having to get up at six soon anyway to get H11 off to school so think I shall try to run earlier.

Being able to see the sea in the morning with the ships waiting to come into port is nice. Can't see that at night.

Knowing that I'm burning stored fat will give me a big boost I can tell ya.

Quote:
Originally posted by powwwers:
words from the wise... couldn`t agree more with tha `mit` \:\)
exercising in the morn. will also aid in sleepin like a log at night. rememba, the hours before midnight are worth two after ;\) ... dunno if i could lift weights in the morn. some form of cardio exercise is deff. tha gee ohh.
and try to eat ONLY fruit in the a.m.
Sleep b4 midnight is worth 2x as much? Why's that?

During my morning workouts I have mostly been lifting weights....man it has been hard. I find I get really 'puffed'- way more than later in the day.

Good going O11. Congrats for draggin yer butt outta bed super early...that takes some willpower!! I too love the energized/wide awake feeling an early workout provides.

Yesterday i hit the gym early(weights) then i had training last night(taekwondo - more cardio). S'pose that's another plus for workin out early...you can be fully recovered by night time so you can actually do other exercise at night.(if ness.)

I really like early morning runs - guess thats because I got use to that in college with twice-a-day workouts. Morning is so much more quieter, the air is more crisp, and theres nothing better than getting a workout done so you can "enjoy" your day. No matter how stressful of a day I have I really like getting my run done first.

Then, because of my ridiculous schedule, I ride about 20-30Kilos on my Mtn. bike daily. Between school and my private lessons it keeps me busy and healthy. But, I only like riding the bike that much when its cool, in summer I arrive to classes like I just stepped outta the shower with my clothes on eek.gif Kimochiwarui!

In my triathlon dayz I used to swim with my squd from 5am-7am at least 4 mornings a week and the other days I was up riding. Swimming was easy in the am, it was hard in the evening when i was tired from a hard day at school/work. running is something that i don7t really like doing fullstop, but would rather do it in the evening. It peeves me that most J gyms open at 10 am when the best part of the day has gone!

• 2 weeks later...

YAY!! Well I am happy to report that after nearly two months of gyming-it b4 7am 2-3 times a week has finally managed to adjust my internal clock.

Such a struggle in the beginning but feel heaps more energetic in the am now!

How you getting on O11?

A tale of woe sweetaz. We've been trying to get up at 6 am to get used to it for when H11 goes to elementary school. And it's bloody well killing us.

I've had swollen tonsils the whole time from being tired so I've only been managing to row in the evenings. That run in the morning - it happened only once.

But I will get into it even if it kills me! mad.gif (Gritted teeth)

The rowing is great exercise though. Everything's firming up very nicely.

I cant understand why people wanna run inside - I mean, you can run for free outside eh? Go swimming or do some weights or something.

Indosnm,

Triathlons eh? Raced for over 10 years when I lived in Hawaii and continued once moving back to the lower 48. Great sport! Would love to get into it in Japan but the entry fees plus transportation would leave me broke...