Minister blames women's advancement for school slaying

Saturday, June 5, 2004 at 05:45 JST

TOKYO — Disaster management minister Kiichi Inoue suggested Friday that women's social advancement is to blame for a recent murder case in which an 11-year-old girl admitted to killing her classmate at a primary school in Sasebo, Nagasaki Prefecture.

"It seems to show that assertive women are increasing," the 72-year-old Inoue told a press conference, referring to the Sasebo case. "It must be the first such case involving a girl," he said. "The gap between men and women appears to be have been narrowing recently."

:rolleyes: eek.gif

Hmmmm, Inoue is 72 years old, so, Im quite sure he hasnt had a new idea in 5 decades. Japan is a great place but the people who have power and control everything are ignorant. Its like being back in the 1950s in the States.

Exactly Yuki's Passion although even re-runs of "Happy Days" would be too racey and progressive for this old fogey. Just another clueless dullard using armchair sociology (from the regressive school) to find an explanation for what was an isolated case. This girl quite clearly has psycological/social adjustment issues and was acting as an individual.

Yes, all this alienating virtual-dialog makes me want to stab someone lol.gif . Perhaps Takeshi Kitano is to blame because the girl refered to "Battle-Royale" on her website.

Yes, I'm still employed oo. Thanks for your concern.

Apparently the girl in question had actually seen one of those socially unrealistic but gory murder dramas the night before, that involved somebody getting their throat cut from behind with a box cutter.

I find it odd that the victim's name and photograph is released immediately whereas the attacker is protected with the most solicitous care.

Apparently the victim's father appeared at a press conference the same day. I would imagine he was goaded into it one way or another, possibly just by expecting that was how he was supposed to behave.

I didn't see it myself, but his reaction to some of the questions suggests that he may not have been told the full story by then.