You should go to Oxford and the Cotswolds. Maybe Brighton if you have time.

You can spend 3 weeks doing cool tourists things just in London without getting bored.

Hi echineko,

I often made a daytrip from London. You can go to Oxford, Brighton, Canterbery from London. Just catch a coach from Victoria station. It takes only few hours to get those beautiful towns.

If you go to Cotswolds, you should rent a car. Bath is nice, too. And don't forget the market on weekends. I liked Camden and Angel market. I have lots of good memories in England... " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

thank you please keep more comment coming!!

We are currently thinking short time in London and then maybe to Oxford and Cotswolds area. Bath look good. We wanted go Lake District, but maybe keep more same kind of area. Also want to go Stonehenge area but not sure where to fit it in!! Its fun though

echineko, Stonehenge used to be wonderful when you could get right in there and climb all over the stones, but that was a long time ago.

Which is why I suggested Avebury. It's between London and Bath (if you have to go there and not Bristol). Avebury is the largest stone circle in the world, in terms of area, and it has a big prehistoric artificial hill and stone tombs (kofun) that you can go inside. It has more atmosphere really than Stonehenge, and you can walk about freely (don't touch the shiso though, because it ain't shiso - it's stinging nettles ;\) )

The Lake District is beautiful but you need about 3 or 4 days there. It will take almost a day to get there from London anyway. I think you said you only have one week, so you should forget Stonehenge, Lake District etc.

You can see lots of old buildings and countryside in Oxford and the Cotswolds anyway.

The Angel market is actually called 'Chapel Market', but its quite small and uninteresting. Camden Market is much better. You can also try Brick Lane market in south london - it is HUGE and there is a big South Asian community (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh) so theres great food.

I also suggest the Tower of London, and one of the Parks (either Regents Park in Camden, or Green/Hyde Park in Central London). A day trip to Greenwich along the Thames River is also nice, and you can see a huge park, boats etc there.

How many nights have you got in the UK?

I would say "days", but Japanese travel companies have a habit of calling a five-night holiday a "seven-day trip".

If you've got less than a week, you might as well just stay in London. With places like like Greenwich, Hampton Court, and Kew Gardens, you don't have to go very far for a change of atmosphere. If you're like other young Japanese ladies with one of those bulky Samsonite suitcases, you might as well stay in one place rather than lug it around with you trying to do as much as possible.

I'd recommend a night at Bar Rumba for some nice tunes. Gilles Peterson is on every Monday.