I've now been jogging regularly for over a year. Probably do about 30km a week, over 5 days or so. 6km without stopping isn't a problem. Average of about 5 mins per km or thereabouts.

Anyway, I'm wondering the best ways to increase that distance. I still can't imagine doing a 20km jog (if not only coz it sounds REALLY BORING!) How do you go from doing 6km to doing much longer distances? Can anyone shed any light on this at all, I'm very interested to hear more on things like this.

Thanks!

I increase 1 km at a time but I try to vary my course. TO be honest I dont think about running when I am running I think about anything else but it. Increase your speed a bit to 4.5 a km that should change it up a bit too.

Orange,

http://www.runnersworld.com/category/0,5034,s6-51-184-0-0,00.html

One good place to try might be runnersworld.com like the link provided. They have loads of info about how to increase your mileage, fartleks, tempo runs, LSD (no, not the drug), racing, etc... You could find answers to all the questions you could think of there and more.

I would say for increasing distance use the 20% rule: meaning dont go any further than 20% of your furthest run. If the longest run youre doing is 6km, you could only jump up to about 7.3 kilo as your longest run that week.

Ill give you an example of my average week right now.

Sunday: about 15-20K or 1:00-1:30

Monday: Speed day. tempo or fartlek. 10K

Tuesday: up the mountain trails. 10K

Wed: ride my mtn bike

Thurs: Mtn trails again. 10K-15K

Fri: depends/off/mtn bike/run/drink like a fish

Sat: anywhere from 5K-10K

Just to continue my example most likely next week Ill drop my distance some but increase my speed. Then, the following week my Sunday run will be 20-25K. This week was actually about 18K. I took a shortcut on the way home :p Too tired and out of water ;\) Dont know about you but in this hot weather I always carry water. Ultimate Direction, North Face, and Camel Back make water bottle bags. The running store just off the hondori has them. (had them).

Best thing to do is check out runnersworld. Always give yourself at least one day off a week though. Do some crosstraining if you have the urge to work out. Hope that helps some.

The easiest way to do many things is to set a goal. Find a race to enter, set a target time, and train towards it. You can find events here.

http://www.sportsentry.ne.jp/top.php

http://guide.runnet.jp/

If you want to optimize the efficiency of your training and haven't trained with a team or a coach, you should buy a heart rate monitor. It can show you what "hard running" means with regard to your body, not somebody else's.

If you think LSD running sounds boring, buy a music player and/or find somewhere nicer to run. One LSD run a week should be enough, so it may be worth getting out of your neighbourhood to do it. You can find maps easily on the Net.

Note that Yuki's program is for an advanced athlete. It takes a lot of time and dedication to reach that level, and all credit to Yuki's for reaching it.

Thank you all for the kind words. Im in decent shape but all the beer and konpas recently is starting to show ;\) I think training keeps my mind and body strong and helps me get rid of stress.

NoFakie said, "If you want to optimize the efficiency of your training and haven't trained with a team or a coach, you should buy a heart rate monitor. It can show you what "hard running" means with regard to your body, not somebody else's."

Thats the best advice on here. A heart rate monitor is by far the most efficient way to train. Polar is probably the most famous brand and has so many different styles to choose from. Price ranges from probably 80 USD - 500.00+ USD.

If you do decide to get one, make it an investment and get something decent. Like NoFakie said picking up one of those and learning how to train with it will benefit you greatly.

Brit-gob, I run after school before eating dinner. I cant run after eating for at least 3 hours. I could eat a Powerbar/banana/or bagel and then run but thats about it. Nothing heavy.

Its getting rather hot recently and Ive had to back off my milage some. I was going at about 4ish to 5ish but its quickly becoming closer to 6ish now.

Orange, Do you have any trails near you or any soft surface you can run on? Pavement is so bad for you if you are close to some trails or soft surface take advantage of it. You dont wanna end up with knees like me \:\(

Thanks for the mails.

I too am impressed YukisP. Wow. That sounds tough.

I know motivation is a bit thing, but that ain't a problem with me I have enough of that already. Not interested in events or communal jogging at all, so I wont be going that route (but thanks for the info).

That runnersworld site is full of interesting info. Makes me feel less pleased with myself for how far I THOUGHT I had come in a year \:\)