Cheeseboy/girl is on his/her way!

Quote:
Originally posted by big-will:
me jane - are you, in fact, cheesewoman?
lol.gif
Now that would be interesting!
But no, I'm me jane, married to me tarzan. Tarzan is Japanese. We are partial to a bit of cheese & wine though...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The short answer:

Doing okay, thanks.

The long answer:

Have been throwing up a fair bit these last few weeks but am at week 13 on Sunday so it shouldn't be lasting much longer. My students were a little surpised at first when I suddenly disappeared under the table with my bucket but they are getting used to it now!

Found out a few weeks back that I have three big fibroids. Things might get a bit crowded in there as the pregnancy progresses as they seem to be growing at the same rate as the baby! Might need a c-section or for the baby to be delivered early but depends on how things go.

My doc is really nice and I get lots of medical support through my contacts at work so hopefully it will work out okay.

Had an ultrasound last Wed and got to see the baby kicking its legs around and holding it's head in it's hands which was really cool!

By the way Mr Cheeseman, are you attending the birth? It was my hospital's policy not to allow husbands in but they said that my case was different and that of course he could come. They seem pretty open to new ideas and answer all my questions patiently. I went in there with a huge list of questions and I was with the doctor for an hour while he answered them all. I wanted to know about all the drugs they might use & all my options fibroid-wise and he wasn't phased by any of it, despite me being the only non-asian patient they have. I've booked a private room with an ensuite bathroom but they give room priority to seriously ill patients. Hopefully no-one will get seriously ill while I'm in labour!

How is Mrs Cheese doing?

The language angle I think. I basically understand what they are saying to me but a lot of the words are so technical and my speaking is not that good. Because I am a "high risk case" due to the fibroids, they worry that in an emergency I won't understand what is happening (They are correct!). I have a friend who is a licenced nurse in both Japan & the US who is fantastic. She knows both systems and all the medical terms. She is coming too but only one of them will be allowed in the delivery room at a time. Space & privacy issues as the delivery room has two beds! If no one else is delivering at the same time then they will both be able to attend.

That's great that the hospital is allowing you to attend. Are you using one of the big Tokyo international hospitals like St. Luke's or Aiko? Is it the same one as with your first child?

By the way, I met up with some other pregnant girls yesterday afternoon. We enjoyed lots of "illegal" soft unpasturised & blue cheeses. The husbands had wine too the lucky buggers!

guzzlers-baps,

Thanks for the support. Are you thinking of having a kid here? It's a bit scary but basically the medical system is good & I've heard some horror stories from friends in "western" countries too.

According to one of my doctor-friends one of the reasons Japan has such a high life expectancy is not its great care of old people but that its neo-natal care is so good. (Having a lot of babies die at birth or shortly after birth brings down the average life expectancy). I'd never really thought about it like that before. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally posted by me jane:
I've found the solution! No more babies in backpacks on the slopes :rolleyes:
B000674KNK.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg
I have a set of baby stroller skis. Not exactly these but with velcro straps. Never used them, but my sister did (not skiing, just on snow).
  • 2 weeks later...

Just had a good chat with my boss - telling him how I wanted 3 months or so off after the birth. He seemed pretty cool about it. I was kind of nervous as I'm only the second person ever in a 19-year old company of 350 staff (where 90% are women) to take maternity leave!

He told me to find someone who can work part-time (something like once a week) for the three months or so while I am gone plus a few overlap days. Pretty difficult cos whoever I find reflects on me so I should find someone good but then if I get anyone who too good I might find myself with no job to come back to!

Still puking...

lol.gif

Good news about the boss.

Quote:
I'm only the second person ever in a 19-year old company of 350 staff (where 90% are women) to take maternity leave!
So what do all the others do, jane?
 Quote:
Originally posted by me jane:
Pretty difficult cos whoever I find reflects on me so I should find someone good but then if I get anyone who too good I might find myself with no job to come back to!

Still puking...
My neighboor had something like that. She took 9 months off and when she got back her replacement was promoted and is now her boss. \:\(
  • 3 weeks later...