I realize there is an old post on this, but I thought I'd bring the topic up anew.

Who here has read the book (besides Ocean)? I'm halfway through it now. The book basically puts into words things that I have thought since I lived here. At least my bitching is supported by one other person in this world.

This country amazes me. What a false and egotistical persona they pervay to the rest of the world. That's not Japan's fault necessarily, but damn.

The first two chapters dealing with the environment got me boiling. I don't want to expound too much here for fear of going over the edge, but again, damn!

Any thoughts from those who have read this book recently? I'm not trying to start a Japan bashing thread at all. Just a discussion on what is brought up in D & D.

Dogs and Demons is very good, but I'd recommend Japan: A Reappraisal by Patrick Smith instead.

im243.gif

It covers everything that's in the Kerr book, but looks far more at education, industry, women, the constitution and other things. While it is possibly harsher than Kerr's book, it is also more positive and perhaps sympathetic.

Both books can make you want to upsticks and leave for good.

Ive read Dogs and Deamons and just borrowed Smiths book.

Like Plucky said, its things Ive thought about consistantly and have always wondered - Kerr just took the issues and investigations one step further.

I bought Tokyo Underworld this weekend and have gotten through a few chapters - enjoying it. Like the history of American corruption and "democracy" in Japan.

YP, you will love Tokyo Underground as it is a great read. Poor old Nick Zappetti has a hard and interesting time of it in Japan.

Dogs and Demons is great. I am actually reading it for the second time after about a year. Love the chapter about the education system. Strikes a few chords with me.

Dims,

Am really enjoying what Ive read so far - fast, surprising historical facts, humouous - am looking forward to finishing it.

Read Dogs and Demons 2xs myself. On a different thread, somebody said I read a book once and am through with it like video games. (something like that according to memory but maybe that halflings leaf is errrr \:D ) I couldnt disagree more, there are some books that Ive read 3,4,5 times and they get better each time. The first time you read a book, you dont fully comprehend it. Only after a second time do you really start to digest it. Just my opinion. Maybe Im just baka wakaranai.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Yuki's Passion:
I couldnt disagree more, there are some books that Ive read 3,4,5 times and they get better each time. The first time you read a book, you dont fully comprehend it. Only after a second time do you really start to digest it. Just my opinion. Maybe Im just baka wakaranai.gif
I agree with you YP. I'm still not done with D&D (surf's been too good the past week) but am close. I will definately read it again. I love re-reading my favorites or books that really get me to think.

I'm going to order the other books in this thread also (thanks for the tips). Hopefully I'll be able to read them undistracted. I'm currently reading three books. Just depends what mood I'm in when I crawl into bed.