I keep, keep and keep. Even if they were bad I keep them. One of the most shattered moments in my life was when I found that 6 big boxes of books had been destroyed by a heavily leaking roof in a garage. Over 400 books gone. Financially it was quite a shame, but in terms of the things that I had read and thought about from the ages of about 16 to 27, it really hurt me. I still reel at the loss. As I have mentioned before, I have been called a Neanderthal for having not read a certain book by an author I had not heard of. I didn’t respond at all, I just thought about the books that I had read and wished I still had. Luckily not every book that I had was in the boxes and I have also managed to re-buy a few of them, but I still only have a fraction. I suppose what really kicks me is that I no longer have them and for whose benefit? I would have been happier to pass them on to the next reader with a short opinion and some satisfaction that they will get something out of the writing. There were books amongst my collection that I loved so much that I would not open them past 45 degrees when reading them.

I once had a book sale when I moved house, and sold off a load of books at a fraction of their cost price. Over the long term, this has taught me that carefully chosen books are worth far more than their cost price. Many's the time I've gone to my library to refer to a book that isn't there.

I did however open all my books more than 45 degrees. And I took them into the toilet with me.

I have a room almost full of books, I can't get rid of them - unless I pass one or two on to friends as I said above. Mostly, they stay, whether they are to be re-read or not in the near future.

Throwing books away should be a crime. :p