"French-style" restaurants/meals here seem to be really popular especially with women. I can't see what the fuss is all about. The places I have been taken to that fall into the category all seem to be preposterously expensive, with preposerously small portions. And it all seems so pretentious.

I've got nothing against French cuisine, so can anyone know any good French places here where I won't feel like this?

Great place chez Philippe in Matsuyama. Hearty home-style French cooking with a good selection of reasonable wines and a bottle of Calavados put at your disposal at the end of the meal. When you said 'here', did you mean Tokyo? ;\)

Also try Asterix in Akasaka, Tokyo, go at lunch for good value. It is very simple and basic French food and quite an ok lunch. There are much better places but this one is a really good and easy lunch. In 2 years I think I ate there nearly every week. The more expensive Y3000 'setto' consists of three excellent courses + coffee and an ok attempt at French bread and is really a struggle to finish it is so large. The people that work there are also nice.

I found that the Japanese did French food very well, but often overcharged due to the supposed 'prestige' of French cooking. Japanese/French fusion (yes, it is a stupid word, I agree) is plus excellent. F*ing brilliant in fact. The combined attitudes towards simplicity, flavour, subtleness and presentation go very well together. Of all international cuisines I think French was the only one that the Japanese did justice to. They certainly made a barny of most Indian and Italian (but then it was usually Indians that ran these crapolla Indian places...?)

Before anyone gets heated about pretentious food, keep in mind that the most common and basic French food consists of chargrilled meat and quite literally, French fries. Often not even any mustard in sight let alone anything fancy.

Keep in mind that I enjoy food a lot, love French food and adore France, so I am as biased as a baguette is long.

hello slow,

probably however I am yet to explore London. So far have been spending my weekends in other places that happen to make good French food, naturally. ;\)

Ooops, I tell a lie. I have taken both lunch and dinner at Cog d\'Argent . Twas pretty good, but something for other peoples/company's expense, not my own.

hello db,

Did you have nice cheese and wine on a boat last weekend? I don't think you need French restaurant in UK. But thanks for the link. Ah, Sir Conran... How many restraurants he produces now?

I just found something interesting from Conran's press release... Cuba...

Lady Slow,

I have had very nice foie gras on a sliced strawberry at Restaurant J in Harajuku area.

4-9-1 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku. Tel: 03-3796-1144

They may have changed the menu by now, last time I ate there was about 4 months ago.

I have mentioned this place before on the forum, it is a really enjoyable low-middle priced little bistro.

Just keep in mind that you are supporting cruelty to animals:

http://www.hsus.org/ace/11507

And yes, amazing food and wine was consumed in the shade of amazing scenery last weekend on the most amazing Canal du Midi. But I don't talk about it as it is a bit too much like showing off, which I understand.

Tetsuya's: yes, I was lucky enough to eat there twice. Quite an experience.

(For info, Tetsya is a Japanese chef who trained as in France and Japan. He produces some mind blowing 10 course meals and has the decency to allow you to bring your own wine! Not bad for a place that takes months to get a weekend seat. The months waiting is NOT because it is the trendy swank star place to be seen, rather it is because it is quite simply very popular irrespective of the price. The guy is a genius).

Grungy, the WoT is lost, I no longer support it ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by veronica:

Tell me a classic French meal line-up.
:( if you have to have it explained then you wouldn't understand.

It is kind of like if one needs to make the statement that they are a lady, then they aren't.