If that's a package it may cover things like helicopter rescue from remote areas.

To get the price down, you have to talk to an insurance agent and check which coverage you're likely to need. Then it gets a lot cheaper. It helps to have a wife/secretary to deal with things like that, but then these come at a much higher cost than the difference between cheap and expensive insurance.

I always used to get it and never needed it. last time, Indonesia, i didnt bother and got robbed twice!

I use this example in the classroom to teach the phrase 'Sods Law'.

That is true, but others accept cards w/ 3% surcharge. I've not found a ticket/insurance combo yet that was cheaper than the card+surcharge.

Having said that, I haven't flown to South America from Japan yet. For the average vacation, 120,000 yen is about the threshhold where the card insurance is worth the surcharge.

If i'm taking a lot of camera gear I usually take out separate insurance too.

Do you have to buy tickets with your credit card???

I don't buy any tickets with my credit card for travel insurance but it covers everytime, as long as I am a membership.

I usually use AIU. They have a pretty cheap deal was 17,000 for a family plan for 21 days.

Wife today discovered the Insurance on the credit card so all we need to do is pay for our little one's insurance as the C/card only covers the name on the card. Wasn't sure about the ticket thing though. Guess the lady is making a call tomorrow.

I would never go without travel insurance. for just alittle bit extra it can save you so much.

i have had malaria & dengue a few times and each time was pretty exy when i was hospitalised. My brother who got malaria in Sumatra and then came and visited me here was admitted to ICU after he passed out. 7 days in ICU here was just over 1,000,000 yen a day. now try and reason with me that travel insurance isn't worth it? without it he would have been up for over $70,000 US!

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
I am sure.
Please check "My Sony Card" or "DC Card".
Ahh, but do either of those companies issue cards to gaijin sama? Especially self-employed ones. The experience many gaijin (at least used to) have is that the arbeito outside the Loft says yes of course you can have the card and all the freebies and then six weeks later you get a letter from HQ saying no.

Sh!tibank stopped my cc without telling me the other week because I was a few thousand yen short on my Sh!tibank paying account. I bought a computer with it and had forgotten to top up the account. Rather than tell me straight away or change it to a "revolving", they just stopped the card. I found out from Amazon. I thought someone must have ripped me off. Despite paying up straight away, my card was out of action for a week. The amount I had used was well below my limit.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:
Sh!tibank stopped my cc without telling me the other week because I was a few thousand yen short on my Sh!tibank paying account. I bought a computer with it and had forgotten to top up the account. Rather than tell me straight away or change it to a "revolving", they just stopped the card. I found out from Amazon. I thought someone must have ripped me off. Despite paying up straight away, my card was out of action for a week. The amount I had used was well below my limit. [/QB]
I am sorry but I don't think you can get new credit card soon.

slow

Perhaps my message wasn't so clear. My card just got temporarily stopped.

My point is that most Japanese companies won't give gaijin credit cards. Citibank will, but they're only in the big cities, you've got a keep a fair amount in your account to avoid charges, and in my experience, the service could be better.

Getting back on topic, if you pay extra for the Sh!tibank gold card (or whatever the rank above normal is), I think you get travel insurance regardless of whether you bought tickets with it.

yakman

Looks like it changed back in 2001. It's amazing what you miss if you place all the leaflets they send in the round file.

Do you get anything special for gold?

(assume ironic tone)

"Always believing

You are gold (GOLD!)

You've got the power to know

You're indestructible!"

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:

My point is that most Japanese companies won't give gaijin credit cards.
DC card, Orico, JAL, LIFE & numerous others give out cards to gaijin. Maybe they don' if you are only on a working visa, rather than a spouse visa?