Here's the deal.

I have a visa until July 05.

My passport is valid until Jan 06.

Hmmm. Wondering how this will work. Do I get my passport renewed in Japan and just get the visa put on the new passport without hassle. Or is this going to be a big nightmare as things can be here - as we all know.

Has anyone been in this situation before?

scouser, the way you put it doesn't sound like an issue - do you mean it the other way round? ie - your passport runs out in 05 and the visa in 06?

If so, I have the same issue. My passport runs out next January and the visa in 2007. My current passport was issued in Tokyo so I'll get the new one reissued here too, from the Oz embassy. I assume next Jan I'll have to go back to Immigration with the new and old passport and get everything restamped. What a pain. I'm not sure if they also recharge you for the visa and reentry permit. I have a feeling they probably won't but I wouldn't put anything past them.

actually, as long as you have a valid passport and a valid visa, there is no problem. Get the new passport and travel on it, put keep the old one with you and show the valid visa (plus the new passport) when you enter and leave the country. This way saves money on re-entry permits.

I travels like this for a while.

Alternatively, you can get a new stamp in the new passport....although, if you are in doubt, check with your embassy.

yes, renewed my US passport last year. Went to the US embassy in Tokyo, filled out the application, and I was later notified by a postcard when I could pick it up. Your country's embassy should have all the details.

Afterwards, I brought it to the Japanese immigration office to transfer the visa info (stamps, etc), which was done easily enough.