Painting my apartment building

Its going to take them 3 months to paint the whole thing, 3 months. Its going to be covered in scaffold and those lovely giant curtains, we all have to remove everything from our balconies, everything extends to the aircon unit and my precious satellite dish! I just shook my head in resignation - 3 months?! What do Japanese painters do??? give me a can of paint and a brush and will take care of my sections in less than a day :rolleyes:

I had the same gig Kamo, but my place is only a 2 kai town house gig. They did the other block last year and it took about 5 weeks due to the rain.

This year they did our side and a day before told us and that we would have to take our dish down also, I refused having just paid for that months worth of telly. When it came to the scaffolding on of their steel beams that they walk on blocked my dish, so all i did was ask if i could remove it while they didn't need it ( just pops out) and in the end they didn't even put it back! & finished the painting in a week! sweet, but at least you can watch the olympics and the repeats ;\)

same thing happened a couple of years ago to me. I don't remember how long they took, but I guess it was at least a couple of months. Workman jack hammering on our balcony at the ungodly hour of 9:00am Saturday mornings. I lost it one day and tried to see why they couldn't do the work around our place in the afternoons (I was living with people who worked nights - including my wife). I yelled and screamed a bit, generally playing the 'typical loud mouthed gaijin'. The site manager called the owner of my apartment and she came around for a meeting. At the same time I was having my meeting with the owner, the guy started jackhammering on thje balcony again. The noise was incredible....

The end of the story is, the owner offered to pay hotel accom for us to move out of the apartment until the work was finished. We stayed in the apartment, but didn't have to pay rent until the work was completed.

I think I even gained respect amongst the younger construction workers - I don't think they have ever seen anyone speak to their boss like that before (I know how to handle myself on construction sites ;\) ).

Perhaps talk to the owner or something and see what you can work out. They are going to do the work, but you might be able to get your dish back up and your rent reduced for the time concerned. If you don't ask, you don't get..........